Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Factory Modern Rifle Set up for Unertl Scope

Boolit Master

Factory Modern Rifle Set up for Unertl Scope

I am usually good at researching the things I am interested in, but I am having a hard time finding a modern rifle that comes from the factory drilled and tapped for an externally adjusted Unertl Scope. I came across a 15x ultravarmint, and would like to make a bench gun--just for fun, not competition.

I am pretty sure a feller could order one from the many custom gun makers, but I am really hoping to find a gun in the sub 1500 dollar range. I heard Ruger made a NO 1 target that came with scope blocks, but I am not sure.

I want to either get 6.5 or 308--or something else modern and capable of 1000 yards. Hell, I would love to smoke my "modern" shooting buddies with a good ol' 30-06 if I could find a gun chambered and tapped. I can't afford a pre-64 bull gun so that is out of the question.

Any and all advise would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

The 1Vs came with ruger blocks instead of the rail. These were set up on a 7.2 center spacing not the longer unertl spacing. 2 holes would need to be drilled and tapped for the front block for the right spacing and correct movement of the external adjustments.

Most smiths will charge $25.00 a hole to drill and tap. So even a new rifle that needs to be drilled and tapped for it ( or a good solid used one) may be ahead of buying a older model drilled and tapped already.

I have a unertl target on my 1V. I made a rail that uses the 4 existing holes and is extended for the proper spacing. There are some various used guns drilled and tapped for the unertal/lyman external scopes, these are older target rifles from benchrest and nra 1000yd rifles. Also a lot of early varminmt rifles were set up for these scopes.

Boolit Master
    I have a post '64 model 70 in 30-06 match rifle with 24" bbl and marksman stock. And is drilled on the barrel for scope blocks for externaly adjusted scopes, and the internaly adjusted ones like the Redfield 3200 and other type/brands Lyman Super targetspot or junior targetspot scopes. Actually 25$ a hole isn't bad some smiths charge considerably more. Drilling and tapping rifles for iron sights and scopes has pretty much fallen by the wayside. If you have a reasonably heavy barrel go to Steve Earl (Google is your friend to get contact info).Frank

I have two Unertl 15 powers and one of them lives on a home-built 98 Mauser bull barrel in .30-06. It's always fun to see the looks on the faces of the younger generation of shooters who show up at our local club with their AR's and SKS's since I'm sure that they've never seen another rifle up at our local club wearing a vintage Unertl. Gotta love "old school"!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Shop for an older Rem 700 Varmint Special. They are d&t for target bases. In the 1980s they became available in 7-08 and .308 for the sillohuette shooters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I treasure this website. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reverend Al, those are a couple of beauties! I had a 20x target a few years ago, but I sold it for something that was insignificant. Those Unertl scopes have some soul.

I am on the hunt for a 700 Varmint Special. I found a pre-64 bull, but the feller wants 2800 for it. I would buy it in a second if I were a rich man, but dad and mom didn't leave me much except for love. --my hat it is off to you folks.

Yes, I had a 24 power Unertl for a while too, but a friend talked me out of it in a very weak moment. Have regretted it ever since ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger M77V in 22-250 that was made in the mid 70's. It is set up for Ruger rings but is also D&T on the receiver ring and the barrel, I always thought it was for the Unertl bases.

Boolit Master
    I've had several older Rugers, #1Vs and 77Vs that could be used with Unertl blocks without modification. Probably lots of these guns still out there. Unertls are great scopes.

Boolit Buddy

Many years ago I was walking a cow pasture looking for ground hogs with a friend who had a 2" Unertl on a bull barreled .220 Swift. An unfortunate fox ran by about 35 yards out - it was a sight to behold to see my buddy unlimber that heavy rig, swing onto and nail that fox in about 10 seconds flat. How he managed to do it, I'll never know - but I'm still impressed.

Banned
    Unertls and Lyman Targetspots are great glass. Prices reflect it. Unertl IA Fixed power scopes are also great, Falcon, Hawk, Condor and Vuture can hold their own today. All scopes as well as target blocks can be found on the internet.

BUT, the sad truth is, that for Varmint hunting or targets (aside from nostalgia) A Swaro, Zeiss, Night Force, top end Leupold or Schmidt is far superior.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if they are better optically or not. I know they are better at keeping moisture out, but I went shooting the other day with a buddy who does long range shooting with the 6.5 and and a high end Nightforce scope. We ran them out to 1000 yards near dusk, and both of us could see no clear winner between the two.

I do think that my Unertl has a "tint" that is not there with the Nightforce, but that tint is not distracting and does not hinder light gathering.

The one thing we did not check is zeroing the scopes from 100 to 500, back to 100 and then to 500 again. That test usually separates the boys from the men. I will let folks know once I find a rifle on which to put the ol' girl.

Thanks for all the advise. I am on the hunt for a couple different firearms from your suggestions.

Banned
    The new high end ($1200+) scopes are superior. 50 years has improved technology. Go to any 1000 yard match and show me anyone winning with a long tube Unertl/Lyman on a 30-06. 6.5 Creedmore and Nightforce pretty much is it.