RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Repro Gallagher carbine

Repro Gallagher carbine

I am finally set up to shoot my ERMA repro Gallagher. Mr. Hoyt relined the barrel to 50 cal., got brass and sized my projectiles.

Mr. Hoyt did a marvelous job; however, should have requested more specifically bore of 515 to 520 for the brass I am using.

Groove diam mics to 507, sized my bullet to 509. The bullet fits loosely in the mouth of the brass.

That is the basis for my question. Would you recommend paper patching it? ... patch probably ain't going anywhere...or, leave it loose?

Boolit Master
    Crimping the case mouth will work the brass. Annealing will be necessary. Some Snyder shooters Use bees wax to hold their projectiles in loose cases.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Crimping the case mouth will work the brass. Annealing will be necessary. Some Snyder shooters Use bees wax to hold their projectiles in loose cases.
    This was useful, thanks. I had a rough time getting my cartridges to fire. Cap sent a spark into the chamber, but they would not fire. I primed the chamber with powder from a 22 LR which allowed me to shoot once, and I got a second shot off, and that was the last successful shot. I'm thinking maybe the problem is the brass. Like the Burnside brass, my Gallagher brass has a recess/dimple/pocket at the flash hole. However unlike the Burnside, the Erma breech face does not have a mating nipple... Instead it is flat. Maybe the resulting air gap is causing problems for spark to reach into the flash hole.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDucati View Post
    This was useful, thanks. I had a rough time getting my cartridges to fire. Cap sent a spark into the chamber, but they would not fire. I primed the chamber with powder from a 22 LR which allowed me to shoot once, and I got a second shot off, and that was the last successful shot. I'm thinking maybe the problem is the brass. Like the Burnside brass, my Gallagher brass has a recess/dimple/pocket at the flash hole. However unlike the Burnside, the Erma breech face does not have a mating nipple... Instead it is flat. Maybe the resulting air gap is causing problems for spark to reach into the flash hole.
    You need the hottest caps you can find. I use the Schuetzen winged caps in my Erma/Hoyt and have never had a misfire. Also, the contorted flash channel HAS to be clean.

After putting a lot of work into cleaning, I see what you mean varsity. I ordered some RWS musket caps, and worked on that flash channel until I can see light through it. We shall see how that all works when those new caps come in.

Mr. Varsity, what does your Hoyt barrel mic to?

Boolit Master
    I found with capping breechloaders winged caps are too weak....so I use RWS berdan primers.....four times the blast,and never fail to ignite whatever is in the chamber.......

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDucati View Post
    After putting a lot of work into cleaning, I see what you mean varsity. I ordered some RWS musket caps, and worked on that flash channel until I can see light through it. We shall see how that all works when those new caps come in.

Mr. Varsity, what does your Hoyt barrel mic to?
    .515, which is what I specified. The Lee Smith bullet sized .517 is a press fit with a loading tool I got from Lodgewood. The wall thickness on my cases is pretty thick, so you would definitely have to anneal them if you try crimping them. I just tried pushing a loaded case by hand into a .50-70 Lyman seating/crimp die and it is a very tight fit. Without a rim for a shell holder to grab, I'm pretty sure that it would get stuck in the die, even if it's lubed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I found with capping breechloaders winged caps are too weak....so I use RWS berdan primers.....four times the blast,and never fail to ignite whatever is in the chamber.......

How do you get them too stay on the nipple?

Boolit Master
    Depends on the primer.....I use both the .217" size and the .250 " and .254" size......needless to say a little modification of the nipple may be required.It helps if you have a lathe.......an indispensable accessory for shooting old guns,IMHO.

Boolit Master
    S&S FIREARMS HAS a loading tool for the GALLAGER carbine. question- what does it look like & how would I use it? I have an origional carbine. would .520RB'S be OK, to shoot in it? thanks, toot.