RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: 6.8 Rem Thoughts in the contender

Boolit Mold

6.8 Rem Thoughts in the contender

Anyone shoot the 6.8 rem in a contender, how do you like it ? I currently have both a 7-30 waters & 6.8 rem 14 inch barrel. How do these stack against each other? The 6.8 rem is close to the contender frame limits but factory ammo should still be safe in a contender right ?

The two are very close in performance. If I owned both, I would load them to the same approximate pressure levels. I prefer the 7-30 Waters, but that is because my barrel is the most accurate Contender barrel I own.

I have a carbine 6.8 and 12" 7-30 barrels. The 7 has more bullet choices than the 6.8 but brass is readily available. Both make good deer/varmint medicine. The only factory ammo 6.8 ammo I tried was one box of cheap Remington ball. It grouped like buckshot but handloads shined brightly. My 7-30 is a MGM barrel and it out shoots the 6.8 a bit and has a rim which I prefer in Contenders so I shoot it more. There is no bad choice here.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 6.8. Sold it pretty quick. Didn't care for the caliber.

Boolit Master

I want to try the .277 Wolverine.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I have both in G2 carbines and have hunted whitetails with both. They both are very accurate, but the Waters seems to be a more dependable deer killer. Used factory ammo in both .

Boolit Bub
    I have had both did not care for the 6.8 had all the loading equipment I had a 7.30 rifle set up on a G2 frame sold the barrel several years ago I picked up a 7.30 23 inch couple months ago and put it on the G2 frame may be my deer gun this year also killed my first deer years ago with a 7.30 waters.

Deaconllb

Boolit Mold
    I'm sticking with my 7-30 waters barrel. It has a muzzle Tamer and I already have dies. Sometimes the contender collection gets out of hand

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I don't have a Contender .
    I do have a 1 off rifle in 7×6.8 .
    When or if I get back to it I will most likely recut it to 7-30AI Rimless . With that said , the only downside of the 6.8 SPC is the lack of heavy .270 moulds . I do shoot 2 other rifles in 6.8 SPCII it is an impressive cartridge in that the case is a 90% fill case with almost every rifle powder . Make sure you have a SPCII chamber . Shoot the NOE 279-124 for best results . The 1-11 twist will let you easily reach the 1000 ftlb@100 yd and 2100 fps MV with a bullet that will expand and stay together . The 1-10 will only go about 2000 fps before they get sloppy with H322 . 4198 should be better and gave me better groups but it wouldn't run the gas gun . Subs are hard to get down to , 3.3 gr of Unique under a 150 , which is over the edge of stable out of the 1-10 .
    Jacketed suitable for 6.8 are available in 90,95,100,105,110,120,130 gr although the SST 120,&130 are fragile in the 270 they are sound whitetail/hog game bullets in the 6.8 .

The 7-30 shines with slow powder and heavy bullets like it's cousins 30-30 and 32 . It does have the advantage of all of the 7mm bullets and both the advantage and disadvantage of the 1-8.5 or 1-9.5 twists . If you get a barrel with a 1-11 twist the 7-30 would be a no brainier choice . That would make the 7mm good for the 175 FP and every other bullet lighter/shorter . The 7-30 has mountians of data for cast and jackets . The 6.8 is a lot skimpy on cast data .

So there's all I have to offer .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I had a 16" 6.8spc contender barrel with a counterbore cut so I could use 30/30 brass and have a rimmed case.

I'm a big 6.8 fan and have several but don't have that contender barrel anymore. I do still have my 7/30 barrel though because it's a better round in the contender platform.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    IF the contender shoots any better than my armalite you will have a heck of a little deer gun i am a fan of the 6.8 since the start.

Boolit Master
    ive got a ruger mini 14 in a 6.8 and love it for short range deer rifle shooting 115gr v max,id like to have it in a contender

Boolit Master

Got a 23” carbine barrel for one of my Contender frames. Last one Ed’s Contender had a few years back. I was a bit nervous about getting it as I was not able to find new brass at that time—not a problem today. You can even find once-fired brass…

https://gem.godaddy.com/p/7793ac?fe=...a88272e7fe0c1d

I got an e-mail from Bellm a couple of days ago, and he is offering that cartridge according to the above link—take a look at it if you might be interested. Probably other sources also…

I’ve attempted to include a pic of my Contender carbine. It’s topped with a Burris 4.5x-14x and has Boyd stock and forend…

This little critter is an excellent shooter, both jacketed and cast…

A pic of the reloaded cartridges I have found to be most accurate: Numerous groundhogs with the 90 grain Sierra HP out to 250+ yards. The 110 V-Max is an accurate bullet, but I’ve not used it for hunting. The 120 SST is also a 200-yard accurate shooter and I have taken a couple of white tails with it. And finally what this site is all about, the NOE 279-124-FP. Quite accurate to 200 yards (16-ounce can killer) and it will ring steel at 250 and 300 yards. I’ve shoot a couple of turkey with it at ~75 yards and one at ~135 yards. One nice neat little holes—no meat damage…

One of my more accurate Contenders for sure…

Good-luck…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM0216.jpg   HPIM0214.jpg