WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three station reloading press

Boolit Grand Master

Three station reloading press

I've always wanted a three station reloading press.
    The one that the top moves between the dies.
    Kind of like a turret, but just side to side, not round dee round.
    Seen pictures of a few.
    Who made them????

Boolit Master

Sounds like you are talking about a CH4D H style press.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

Or a Ponsness-Warren P200.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Banned
    C-H Model 205, think that's the correct number, has the dies mounted in a sliding bar. It moves front to back holding three dies.
    Ken
    Sorry no pictures as I am using a tablet.

Boolit Grand Master

I googled CH 205 and found a press like I own; a huge single stage "O" type. No movable dies, just a standard "O" press (and an excellent one too. I got mine used in 1990 used for $13.00 and I reloaded thousands of rounds and sized thousands of bullets until I got a turret).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

There are no working inline presses, which is what you are describing.

All working, multi-station presses are round or arc-shaped. There have been several inline failures over time, the most infamous being the one sold by RCBS: the Green Machine. CH also had a series of inline presses that some still use, although they are not in-production.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

The CH 205 press is a single stage press, one station only please. I had one that was like new and was crazy enough to sell it. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Something like this.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iego-Universal
    But not a Hollywood.
    I think Pacific or Herters made something like it.

Banned
    Well I got that number wrong.
    I am on the road so no resources available.
    There's a C-H press that mounts 3 dies in a sliding steel bar, it slides front to rear to position the desired die over the single ram.
    The press is aluminum. It is an interesting design from the Owens WI era of C-H.
    It's not a commonly seen model, could be that most folks have never seen it.
    Ken
    Last edited by Pressman; 06-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Boolit Master

I remember seeing a picture of a sliding station press but I have no idea when it was made. It would be really interesting if someone could come up with a picture of one. james

Boolit Master
    Search of cast boolits for green machine:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sear...archid=4823295

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Well I got that number wrong.
    I am on the road so no resources available.
    There's a C-H press that mounts 3 dies in a sliding steel bar, it slides front to rear to position the desired die over the single ram.
    The press is aluminum. It is an interesting design from the Owens WI era of C-H.
    It's not a commonly seen model, could be that most folks have never seen it.
    Ken
    I tried to buy one of those at a gunshow about a decade ago. I believe it was ball detent that held the sliding bar in place? I recall thinking that if one got a number of bars made up by a machinst, they could be left set up, making caliber changes pretty easy.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

The problem you run into here is the strength of the press.

In order to have a sliding top plate the frame of the press must have a slot in it which is open. Thus the frame must be a U shaped affair.

When used, the forces would want to spread the U apart, thus the tool would not be very strong unless it was hugely over built.

One thing to consider here is that you can make anything work in your head. Making it work in the real world is somewhat more challenging.

Turret type presses are considered "Rotary Transfer Machines," but work opposite of how a progressive machine will work. IE; they bring the tools to the work as opposed to bringing the work to the tools which is faster and allows multiple operations to occur simultaniously.

The latter is generally considered to be the fastest way to do multiple operations to a given product. Most progressive machines are Rotary Transfer Machines. Bottling and Labeling machines are all Rotary Transfer machines. The tooling is fixed and the work is brought to the tools.

There are also Linear Transfer Machines. The C&H Auto Champ and RCBS Green Machines were hand operated Linear Transfer machines, there are also numerous Automated Reloading machines which are Linear Transfer.

The operating theory behind all of these machines is to bring the work to the tooling which allows multiple products to receive operations simultaneously. In effect after the machine is loaded every cycle of the machine/press produces a finished part.

With a turret type machine the machine must cycle as many times as there are tools to produce a finished product. In effect every revolution of the turret produces a finished part. Turret Lathes are a good example of this.

There are progressive style turning machines called "Multi-Spindle Screw Machines" which have several spindles mounted on a revolving carriage and a tool at each of the stations placed around the carriage. Each time the carriage rotates to a new position an operation is performed and the cycle time of the machine is governed by the station that takes the longest time to perform its function. Each time the carriage rotates a finished part is ejected from the machine.

The firm known as C&H which all of you know was created to make reloading dies on Multi-Spindle Screw Machines and I think they still use them. Maybe if someone could call Dave and find out. It is kind of a dying skill set as CNC machines have replaced most all to the Multi's as they wear out.

This history lesson was brought to you by Buchanan Precision Machine.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

If you are looking for a multi base manual press, no moving of the cases except manually from one shell holder to another, my Brown Bair three station and one of the CH4D presses (H style) has three stations as well. Not automatic though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Finally got to a computer with internet access, actually I am stuck in an RV park in Beaver Dam Arizona. Getting new brakes on the truck tomorrow.

The press is the C-H model 206. Aluminum frame, steel die bar. It holds four dies. I believe Dave at C-H4D has several spare bars.
    It looks like it should work, though I have doubts with the aluminum frame. These are the only pictures I have, the press is in the archive collection.

Ken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH Model 206 002.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	221709

Name:	CH Model 206 003.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	221710

Boolit Grand Master

I don't see why a "die bar" in a slot won't work, the Forster (Bonanza) Co-Ax press loads dies in a slot...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    I collect Hollywood presses. The 3 die press you pictured is considered "Pre-Hollywood" and simply called the "San Diego" They are a pretty rare find, like pretty much all Hollywood presses are. Even tho I collect Hollywoods, I would welcome the '3 die turret" like that one!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollywood resto.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	221771

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm almost sure I've seen another three die press like the Pre Hollywood.
    Maybe in my dreams????
    Don't really need it. I'm doing fine with my Turret press.
    It would just be cool to have something like that.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have a pistol progressive press, 3 or 4 stations, inline press. I need to get in there and get a pic of it some day. It is a bit worn but has loaded a LOT of rounds for me!

Boolit Mold
    CH4D has made one, two, three, and four Hole H style press for years. The 444 (four hole press) is still being made. http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/044000

I have both a CH 444 and a CH Magnum (one Hole) press, like those shown below. The Magnum I got in the late 1970's and the 444 in the late 1980's. The One, Two and Three hole presses can be found on E-Bay from time to time.

Name:	ch 444.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	222346

Name:	ch magnum.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	222347

Name:	Reloading.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	222350
    Last edited by BobinNC; 06-19-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast