RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Duke's Foundry in Action! Pics

Quote Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
    OK, this thread turned up when I did a quoted search on "range scrap".

I feel like a total bubba when I see Duke's pro setup.

Naw.....

Bump by request for the new guys.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Yea that does sound like a good idea raising the pouring table. I think I'll leave the pot on the ground and away from cajones level.
    Okay, I laughed at that part but a sensible precaution nonetheless.

Do you realize you started this thread almost 4 years ago and it's still going strong. Great job Duke and a great post.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rockchucker View Post
    Do you realize you started this thread almost 4 years ago and it's still going strong. Great job Duke and a great post.
    Thanks you.

Boolit Master

Duke,

That's a nice setup to melt some serious lead.

Vegas and smelting in the summer, WOW, how much weight do you loose in a session?

Duke - some where up above you stated you wanted to make a alloy batch, but much larger than your 200 pound pot.

Well

Take one pot of 200 pounds and stack it to the side
    Take second pot of 200 pounds and stack it to the side
    Do this until you have 1000, 2000 pounds or what ever

(5 stacks = 1000 pounds)

Clean your pot and add equal amount of ignots from each pile There by blending 5 or 10 stacks together in one alloy.

I use to make my alloy up in 1200 pound batches that way. Took me a lot longer than it will take you with that big pot and ladel.
    Big Bore = 45+

Update: a few years ago after these pic I added a harbor freight face shield.
    OUCH! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...91#post1883791
    Last edited by Just Duke; 10-16-2012 at 08:02 PM.

I couldn't cast from a cast iron pan or a pot.I have not found a piece I would Consider trust worthy unless it is made in the U.S.A.Me being one of the biased.I take more pride in my cooking cast than I do the other.It takes alot of time to cure the right pan or or pot.I like steel for casting lead.Just my preference I guess.YMMV

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I've been using cast iron pots in Louisiana for over 50 years. We started the outdoor cooking craze as it was just the way of life here.
    You can buy old cast iron pots very cheap if you stay away from the tourist traps. The more rust it has the better it will work. The same goes for all those cornbread sticks shaped like ears of corn. Look and find the rusty ones for $5 ea.
    It only takes one day to season a new iron pot if you do the process correctly and never put any soap in it!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Hey Duke,

Thanks for the bump to this thread. I didn't join until afterwards, and I cast, too. Lots of .45 Colt and .44 Spl/Magnum in my life, and it's fun!

You are absolutely correct about the need for precautions. The first two things I bought were a full face shield and a pair of welding gloves. Along with the old leather jacket (high neck), thick leather hiking boots, and denim jeans + thick long johns, this saved me from a visit from the Tinsel Fairy. Covered the entire front of me, but thanks to the protective gear, no harm whatsoever was done. But you sure do get wiser after such an experience.

After looking at that thread of the guy who knocked over his pot and spilled hot lead all over the front of him, I'm getting the apron like what you've got. We've got a Harbor Freight not too far from me, and a mere $70 to keep from serious burns is cheap insurance.

There is *NO* reason not to use the proper protective gear, folks. I know, it gets hot in the summer. That's why I cast in the winter. Also helps keep the mould from getting too hot quite as quickly.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
    Hey Duke,

Thanks for the bump to this thread. I didn't join until afterwards, and I cast, too. Lots of .45 Colt and .44 Spl/Magnum in my life, and it's fun!

You are absolutely correct about the need for precautions. The first two things I bought were a full face shield and a pair of welding gloves. Along with the old leather jacket (high neck), thick leather hiking boots, and denim jeans + thick long johns, this saved me from a visit from the Tinsel Fairy. Covered the entire front of me, but thanks to the protective gear, no harm whatsoever was done. But you sure do get wiser after such an experience.

After looking at that thread of the guy who knocked over his pot and spilled hot lead all over the front of him, I'm getting the apron like what you've got. We've got a Harbor Freight not too far from me, and a mere $70 to keep from serious burns is cheap insurance.

There is *NO* reason not to use the proper protective gear, folks. I know, it gets hot in the summer. That's why I cast in the winter. Also helps keep the mould from getting too hot quite as quickly.
    Just found this. Glad I could help.

Moderator Emeritus

I could have use the respirator for the batch of wheel weights a month ago. Bucket was full of rat **** and pee

Here's the thread you were asking about Bill.

I have a spare setup if you know anyone looking for one.

Boolit Master
    Hi Duke.Thanks for a great thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Moved
    To where?
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345