MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee full length die problems.

Boolit Master
    I have used Lee, Lyman, Pacific, & RCBS dies. Lee dies tend not to be as well polished as are the others. If you clean the inside of the die and examine it under a good light...see how smooth that it is inside. Getting a replacement die from Lee will probably do no good as it too will be rough inside. I used two steel rods and built up with masking tape to fit snugly and polished mine with 400~600 grit sandpaper...one for the neck area and one for the body. I spin with a slow electric drill. You will not ruin the die or make it too large inside with this method. You merely polish them out. Petrol & Powder makes a good point....it maybe best to buy an RCBS or Redding to avoid having to do this, but it would be simple to polish out your Lee dies and they will be just fine.

Boolit Master
    Lee is my favorite brand of die but it sounds like you have a defective neck expander. For you to actually stick a case on the expander it has to have the upper portion of the expand rod slightly into the neck area of the size die. Drop your expander down another eight inch and try again. And from your description it sounds like polishing everything would also be beneficial.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all for the replies. I will try polishing it up and see how that works. Although it has some deep striations on the mandrel. I’m leaning towards getting a new full length sizing die but would like to get the Lee figured out. For the experience and if nothing else to put in my hope I don’t need it bag.

Boolit Master
    Seems like the expander is set too high......I have Lee dies,and find they work good,but the collet gripping the expander is one thing I dont like......the expander has to be set almost down inside the collet,and doesnt look right,but thats to prevent jamming of die ,case neck,and expander into one solid mass.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry for the absence. Having to work take way too much time!! Anyway, contacted Lee and have parts on the way. I tried to polish the mandrel but it was too far gone and it is the old style. Got a little rough with the collet and started to strip it out. So just ordered new parts. Did purchase some new Hornady dies to fill in but will use the Lee also. Got to say. Lee is nice to work with. No problems at all. And a big thank you to all that replied. Great group!!