Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Making pot and ladle clean for casting

Boolit Mold

Making pot and ladle clean for casting

What is everyone’s process on cleaning pot and ladle before or after casting
    Trying to keep mix clean for casting. Right now I wire brush pot and ladle then put bees wax or candle to it. Just trying to keep grit down. Open for ideas. Thanks

I leave my pot full of lead.

Boolit Master

Yes, I leave my pots full of alloy
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

From an old thread here. I liked this idea so much I saved the instructions as a Word document. This is NOT my idea; but I have used it several times:
    My old RCBS Pro Melt Furnace started to drip, an indication it was once again time for a cleaning. In doing so I got to thinking there may be some new casters that might benefit on the the best way I have found to clean the scale and minute lead deposits left in the pot after all the lead has been removed. It's these deposits that build up in my tapered bottom pour spout that keeps the down rod from seating properly to seal the spout and it's these deposits on the bottom and walls that reduce the efficiency of the pot.

The first step is remove all the lead and let the pot cool. It's a bit messy, so outside with access to water is the best place to set up. I remove my down rod to have complete access to the pot. I use stainless welding torch tip cleaners to remove enough deposits in the spout so water can run through the spout. I plug the spout with a wooden toothpick so the pot will temporally hold liquid. I then mix a 1/1 ratio of Hydrogen Peroxide and White Vinegar, both easily obtainable and inexpensive.

How much mix you need will be determined on how bad the scale is, usually a pint works for me. I pour some of the the mix into the pot and start scrubbing using small wire brushes; the kind Harbor Freight sells for $2 for 6 brushes. The mix will foam slightly and eat away at the scale immediately. Brushing will expose the clean metal of the pot. Continue the process until the scale is removed. Bore brushes of different sizes will leave the tapered pour spout clean as new. Once clean rinse with water and dry. Your pot will now work like it did when it was new and if it wasn't for the heat discoloration of the stainless it would look like new.

I have been known to scrape stuck lead off the top edge of my pot.

I'm running a Lee Magnum Melter and I am incredibly happy with it.
    Normally when I am done casting I pull the ladle, rap it a couple of times on the edge.

Put it in my dross pan or my ingot mold to cool. Slip in an ingot or two to bring lead level up to within 1/2 inch to 1" below the top and turn it off.

Whole thing sits there till I feel the urge to cast. Turn it on, go tinker with something for 10 min then warm up mold and cast.

Really liking the little digital timer for my casting pot. Price was reasonable. Push a button and its on, push a button and its off.

I normally push the 1 hour button to start so I know even if I get interrupted it won't be on that long.

12$ seems pretty reasonable for making it fool proof.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1