Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lengthen 20 gauge chamber

Boolit Master

Lengthen 20 gauge chamber

I have recently become the owner of an old Stevens Model 311A 20 gauge double barrel shotgun. Not too surprised to find that this one has had some work on it possibly by the former owner or by request of the former owner. You would have to have known my BIL Bill who owned this jewel for many years. He was a quail hunter, and did his share of rabbit and squirrel too. He had both barrel chokes opened up to Improved cylinder which is somewhat understandable, but the right barrel chamber has been deepened to 3", while the left barrel has been left at the factory length of 2 3/4". I would like to have them the same, even though I have no plans to shoot 3" shells in the shotgun.

My question concerns lengthening the chamber on the left barrel to agree with the right barrel. Is that a job that can be done by an unskilled person like me, or do I need to take the shotgun to a regular gunsmith. Truthfully, I am into the shotgun fairly deep as it is and can't see myself spending much more money on this old shotgun that only has value to me because of who owned it and I am glad that I was able to purchase the shotgun from the estate in order to keep it in the family.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Leave it as is or lengthen the short chamber?
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

If your plan is to only fire 2 3/4 shells in the gun, why not just leave it as is? You might make a note of the chambering so some future owner will know the strange configuration. Gp

In Remembrance

Make a notation somewhere about the odd barrel and just continue to shoot 2 3/4" shells in both barrels, not much can be done about the IC choked barrels short of getting choke tubes fitted.Robert