Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Molot Vepr 6.5 Grendel

Boolit Buddy

Molot Vepr 6.5 Grendel

Anybody messed with the grendel? I had an old AK I liked, but the barrel was .314. Never jammed but you had a better chance at hitting something if you threw the rifle at it then tried to shoot it. I like the fact it would shoot anything and so reliable. So, I am interested and like the specs but I don’t know anyone that shoot this round.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot it in an AR15. Cloverleaf groups @100yds using the 90gr speer hp and benchmark powder

Boolit Master
    The 6.5G is a Very sweet round! It is may latest lust affair, I would have to do more research before trying it in an AK type though. I am not sure the lock up would like the pressure or not. I have toyed with the idea in the past but never pursued it.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

I shot it in my AR15. Great little accurate round with the NOE-266-125-GR. I use fire formed brass converted from 7.62x39 brass. Sub MOA accuracy is obtainable with little fuss.

At least the bolt is usable. I would think all you would need is a barrel swap.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    SAAMI lists the 7.62x39mm at 45,000 PSI and the 6.5 Grendel at 52,000 PSI. Not a huge difference. .223/5.56 is 55,000 PSI and you see plenty of AK's chambered for that floating around. I'm not sure if they have been strengthened in any way though.

I'd say it's possible to do. You might have issues with the mags though. The Grendel is a tad bit longer than x39, and does not have a heavy tapered design. It's nearly straight until you get to the sholder, so it's not going to want to stack in a tight curve as much as x39 would.

If you ever look at a .223 AK, you'll notice it's banana mag is less banana like. Not sure if those mags will just work in a normal AK or if they are different.

I seriously doubt the AK in 6.5 Grendel will shoot with the AR 6.5 Grendel accuracy wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thank guys, this gives me a little more to think about. K-var Corp beefed up the receiver to handle the higher pressure. Still concerned about the accuracy. I didn’t like how the 7.62x39 shot out of an AR. I know they made improvements, but I don’t want to go down that path again.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I seriously doubt the AK in 6.5 Grendel will shoot with the AR 6.5 Grendel accuracy wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I agree if your plans are for hunting or just killing paper at reasonable distances then it would probably be "good enough" But I don't think the rifle design and looser tolerances are gonna take full advantage of the rounds accuracy potential
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!