Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Two more off my muzzleloader bucket list...

Two more off my muzzleloader bucket list...

That's right, checked two more items off my muzzleloader bucket list.

1) Sighting in my Traditions Kentucky rifle. It's always shot about 4-5" low at 50 yards so yesterday when I went to the range I remembered to bring a file so I could lower the front sight. Several shots and several cautious filings of the front sight and now I'm 4" low at 100yds.

2) Had my first (and hopefully last) dry ball... Got it pulled out today with a ball puller attached to my range rod. It happened yesterday on my last shot but all is well now.

Glad to hear everything worked out well.

Boolit Buddy
    With a dryball in a percussion gun it is often easier to pull the nipple and trickle 3f or 4f into the hole until it won't take more when you tap the gun then reassemble and shoot it out. Funny little pffft sound.

Pulling can be a bugger if the screw strips in the lead or you don't have enough someone with you to help pull from both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by vagrantviking View Post
    With a dryball in a percussion gun it is often easier to pull the nipple and trickle 3f or 4f into the hole until it won't take more when you tap the gun then reassemble and shoot it out. Funny little pffft sound.

Pulling can be a bugger if the screw strips in the lead or you don't have enough someone with you to help pull from both ends.
    Once I got the screw into the ball (took a few tries) I had to put the end of the rod in my vise and then pull on the rifle. I had oiled the barrel pretty good before pulling and I think that helped. I did think about pulling the nipple off, filling the drum with powder and then shooting it out but I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get enough in to send the ball all the way out.

It usually don't take a lot of powder to blow it out. I've done it with just a few grains of powder and can see the ball flying through the air.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    It usually don't take a lot of powder to blow it out. I've done it with just a few grains of powder and can see the ball flying through the air.
    Yes this. I've done it a couple times and if you can get it moving, it is almost always going to eject. Not always with allot of power but you might be surprised. It only takes a couple grains.
    If it doesn't go all the way, just push it back in and try again.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy

CO2 discharger with assorted nipple adapter is always in my toy bag. Beware, it is like an air rifle.

The only time I had to use 2 CO2 cartridges was on a tightly patched roundball.

Boolit Buddy
    don't ask me how I know how to take care of them...lol
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Buddy

Alls you need now is to shoot your ramrod downrange.... makes a neat sound..... And it just happened to be with MY Kentucky rifle looooong time ago... I wasn't too thrilled with the accuracy of the ramrod though...
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Grand Master

You need to add fletches to your RR.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
    Alls you need now is to shoot your ramrod downrange.... makes a neat sound..... And it just happened to be with MY Kentucky rifle looooong time ago... I wasn't too thrilled with the accuracy of the ramrod though...

Don't give me any new ideas!