Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C-309-200-R Diameter

mold cleaned up. Nose: .001 out of round

driving bands .001/.002 out of round.

Boolits drop pretty easily out of mold

It's a little difficult to get a good, sharp fill-out beneath the sprue plate, you know, at the shoulder for the gas check at the base/bottom of the boolit.

alloy is 5% linotype 95% lead.

Moderator Emeritus

improving the venting helps with base fillout.
    I would 'break' the edge of the top of the mold faces, creating a vent line at the seam.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    improving the venting helps with base fillout.
    I would 'break' the edge of the top of the mold faces, creating a vent line at the seam.
    have a photo of how you do it? How much of a break line? This is on the top of the mold right where the halves meet, right? Just lightly relive the joint with a little sand paper?

Thanks for the input!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    SNIP...

This is on the top of the mold right where the halves meet, right? Just lightly relive the joint with a little sand paper?
    Yep and yep,
    maybe .005 at the most...or the same size as the other vent lines on the mold face.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Yep and yep,
    maybe .005 at the most...or the same size as the other vent lines on the mold face.
    one last question: do I break the line where the halves meet? the line that would define the rebate for the gascheck?

Let me be a little more specific: should the relief run up to and stop at the cavity or do I go right through the cavity?

Albeit very lightly...

Moderator Emeritus

NOT the round cavity edge...just the straight edge/seam of the blocks.
    It just needs to vent from the edge of the cavity, to the outside edge where the sprue plate covers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ran a line from where the mold blocks meet outward from the cavity, one line running outward from each of the 2 cavities. I did not run the line through the rebate in the cavity for the gascheck just up to the rebate.

Thanks,

Mark

Moderator Emeritus

you should be good to go...let us know if it hopes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hopes that it helps!

Nice mold overall but the lack of fill-out at the base of the bullet takes some of the joy out of the experience.

Thanks again,

Mark

Jon B, joy is found, only rarely do the bases fail to fill out.

Many many thanks, I will enjoy my 26 -dollar mold so much more now.

Mark

Boolit Grand Master
    Mark--

Late to the party, sorry about that. I have one of the Lee C309-200 2-cavity moulds, and mine is a total delight to use for casting--and loses no love when the castings are assembled into 30-06 cases for my commercial Mauser 98 so chambered. Its metal is 92/6/2 alloy, cast at 675*-700*. Drive bands drop at about .3105", bore rider portion is about .3005"--bore will admit a .300" pin gauge, .301" is a no-go. I size in a Lyman .309" H&I die (throat and grooves are .3085"), and the sized bullets are a couple tenths over .309". I seat Hornady 30 caliber gas checks and lube with Carnauba Red.

The bullet is a good fit in the Mauser's barrel. Eye-balled bullets will shoot into 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" five-shots @ 100 yards groups pretty reliably. For comparison, the rifle will shoot 168 grain Matchkings into .600" to .800" five-shot groups with WW-760 and IMR-4320 to 2700 FPS. The castings remain accurate from 1500-2000+ FPS; 60.0 grains of WC-860 (full case in W-W brass) gives a satisfying cannon-BOOM report, not quite 2100 FPS over the time-clock, and grouping remains in the 1.5"-class. Accordingly, I cast up some Bruce B Softpoints using Lyman #257420 as donor slugs for the point; I loaded 20 of these for hunting purposes, and though no deer have volunteered as test media when i had the 30-06 afield I will be giving the Mauser (and a few other rifles) their Last Tango In Paris in Zone D-14 this year. 2018 is the last year of lead bullets for hunting in this area of California.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

9.3X62AL;

Now this sounds like fun:

60.0 grains of WC-860 (full case in W-W brass) gives a satisfying cannon-BOOM report, not quite 2100 FPS over the time-clock, and grouping remains in the 1.5"-class.

I don't have WC860 but I have 5010 and WC872 so I am definitely going down that path just for fun! Thanks.

All the best,

Mark

Boolit Grand Master
    WC-860 has been a strangely useful propellant for me. 100%-density loads in commercial 6.5 x 55 brass (55.0 grains) gives 1896-level ballistics in my Ruger 77R of that caliber with 140 grain jacketed bullets--2450 FPS and SUPERB accuracy. I have "duplexed" the slow-burner with IMR 4198 in 45/70 and gotten 1873-level ballistics with 400-425 grain cast bullets, 1300 FPS or so and again stellar accuracy. The "boomy" report seems to be a trait of these slow-for-application powders--and a fun one it surely is.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    WC-860 has been a strangely useful propellant for me. 100%-density loads in commercial 6.5 x 55 brass (55.0 grains) gives 1896-level ballistics in my Ruger 77R of that caliber with 140 grain jacketed bullets--2450 FPS and SUPERB accuracy. I have "duplexed" the slow-burner with IMR 4198 in 45/70 and gotten 1873-level ballistics with 400-425 grain cast bullets, 1300 FPS or so and again stellar accuracy. The "boomy" report seems to be a trait of these slow-for-application powders--and a fun one it surely is.
    I've used it's twins the 870's in Krag, 45-70 and 50-70 have yet to try it in 30-06 or 6.5 Swede but that's on the horizon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12