Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking for a couple load recommendations for long range shooting

Looking for a couple load recommendations for long range shooting

I have the opportunity to go long range shooting next month (600-1000 yards) and I am looking for some load recommendations. To date, I haven't shot past 300 yards, so I'm in unknown territory. The two guns I'll be using are a Savage 111 in 308 win. and a Ruger 77 MkII in 338 win mag.

My current best load for the 308 is a Hornady #30452 165 gr. SST Boat tail bullet over 41 gr of IMR 4895 with a Winchester WLR large rifle primer. This gives an average muzzle velocity of 2458 fps and will shoot just outside an inch at 100 yards.

For the 338 win mag I use a Hornady #33202 225 gr SST bullet over 70 gr of IMR 4350 with a CCI #250 large rifle magnum primer. This gives an average muzzle velocity of 2754 fps. I have only shot this load at 300 yards, but was able to put 8 shots in a 6" circle.

I have two questions/requests:

#1: Will these two loads get the job done?

#2: Is there a load that you would recommend?

I'm not looking to become a sniper. I just want to be able to say I hit what I was aiming at at 1000 yards.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Boolit Master
    there is several schools of thought on that.
    one says the lighter recoil rifle is better, another says the heaviest bullet carries down range better; your choice.
    I would be sure to look up the ballistics for that and get an idea of the amount of elevation needed to even make a try at it.
    For over 100years people have been shooting long range with .45-70, if that will get the job done,,,,,,, then anything you listed will get it done.
    You just need to know your elevation to get there.

Boolit Bub
    I don't think you're going to stay supersonic at 1000yds, at least not with that 308 combo. The 168Sierra won't do it at 2550; the SST looks like it poops out at 900yds. If they drop below about 1200fps before they get to the target, they are going to be all over the place.

What do you have for barrel length/twist? I think you can do it with a 155 with 24" of barrel. Otherwise, you'll need to look to 175's. If you're short on time, I'd skip right to the 175 Sierra. It's proven and not fussy about what you pack in behind it and there's a ton of load data for it. That's going to be the most expeditious route to a load that will work well all the way out.

For 600yds, you'll need to come up 12-14minutes from your 300yd zero.

The LR targets are generous, so you don't need a superb load. An adequate load (1MoA'ish) with decent wind drift numbers is what I would focus on--that and good 300yd zero (better yet 600 if you can get there).
    Last edited by 30CalTy; 06-02-2018 at 08:24 AM.

I would pick the 175gr SMK or the 178gr ELD from Hornady. Much higher BC for shooting those distances. Bump the speed up. As mentioned. You need to stay super sonic out to the target.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Amax is a better target bullet than the SST.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Can't speak to the .338 but I do a lot of shooting out to 800 yards with a .308...your load is very slow...

I use the same bullet in a Federal case and CCI LR BR primer with 46.0 grains of Winchester 748. Velocity is 2730 from a 20" barrel and under .5 MOA accurate.

Seat the bullet so that the base of the shank is at the base of the neck.

The other good bullet that works with that same load is the 168 Sierra Mach King BT..that one will run in the .2s if I do my part...

You will also need a real good scope of at least 10 power that has a lot of adjustment and a 20* base may be necessary...

Bob

Lots of good info here. Thanks to everyone for your recommendations.

Just as I figured, it looks like I have more work to do.

Boolit Master

Ditto on what Waco said. Can't speak for the .338 but I shoot the good ol' M118 (175 gr BTSP) using H4895 in my Savage M10 with a 24" barrel. At just under 2700 fps, consistent 1.5 MOA (or better!) at 500M.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

If you're going to 1000 yards your 338 load will get you there. However, if yours is a sporter weight rifle you will get beat up in short order.

As mentioned your 308W load will not get you there no matter how well it shoots at 1000 yards. Go straight to the Sierra 175 gr MK Over 44.5 gr8 Varget with WLR primers in match prepped cases.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry,

Will Varget also work in my 338? If so, any recommendations as to how much charge for a Siera 250 gr Match King bullet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highnoon View Post
    Larry,

Will Varget also work in my 338? If so, any recommendations as to how much charge for a Siera 250 gr Match King bullet?

Thanks
    Varget is too fast for that cartridge. Look at some slower powders.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Concur with Waco. There are much better slower burning powders for the 338.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla