Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a used Bullet Mold from EBay

Boolit Master

I have.

My Lyman .675 RB mom came from eBay. Its saved me a bundle making my own musket balls. 25$ shipped.

For used lee, 10$ max

F

I haven't found any more deals on any other than a 357 Lyman but not bullet size I shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    From Ebay? Fe and brass molds ONLY.......maybe! No Al due to the easy way they can be damaged and NOT show up in pictures. You do not know there is a problem until you heat them up and try to drop boolits!

"Avoid evilbay" is my motto. Spend just a little more and buy NEW ones from the manufacturer with a FULL WARRANTY and return/money back rights.

Cheeeeeep ..............is not always inexpensive!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I have bought quite of few molds off of E-Bay and only was disappointed once but Eric can to the rescue and I am a happy caster. If you have a doubt, pass on it, there will be another next week or month. Be patient.
    Leadmelter

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I bought one mold from out of country and it looks like the flat rate box was used for hockey practice . The mold that started looking like new in the pictures arrived in a box with a hole in it . The screws were missing and the edges of the blocks and cavities were rounded over . Seller did make it right but Ebay had to get involved with it .

Several other molds came through fine but they came from one of the states and the sellers apparently cared about getting the mold to me in good shape . I was very glad to get some discontinued four cavity Lyman mold to feed my rifles .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Bub
    Ironically, I just acquired a ton of molds that I am going over. I have no clue what to look for as far as condition. A few are brand new and still in the wrapper, but the rest have been used. Can anyone steer me as to what to look for so I don't sell someone a piece of junk? I'd rather pitch it in the trash than sell someone something that was no good.

Boolit Master
    I've bought a number of used molds from EBay without any problems.Just make sure the seller has good photo's and that the faces of the blocks are shown as well as the top of the blocks.If the mold is still available new pay attention to the price and shipping costs.Some current production used molds are listed at a price higher than new molds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
    Ironically, I just acquired a ton of molds that I am going over. I have no clue what to look for as far as condition. A few are brand new and still in the wrapper, but the rest have been used. Can anyone steer me as to what to look for so I don't sell someone a piece of junk? I'd rather pitch it in the trash than sell someone something that was no good.
    I can help you learn how to inspect the moulds. I can also help you learn how to fix minor issues with the moulds.

Boolit Mold
    I've never had a problem buying used Lyman molds from ebay. Just look at the pictures.

Yes, I would.
    Yes, I have.
    Very little trouble, have I experienced in doing so.
    Yes, I may continue, if direction or desire leads me on...
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Banned

I haven't bought any off ebay yet, but if the pics were clear and the die looked in good condition, the seller had a very good rating and the price was good I'd buy. Ive only ever had one bad experience on ebay.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
    Warped mold faces, rounded edges of the mold cavities, overly deep vent lines, cavity sides don't align top (visible) or bottom ( not so easy to see), wallowed out alignment holes.

Some things are easy to correct like a burr on a cavity edge, or misalignment due to a retreated pin or pins, or a loose pin.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Have purchased several iron Lymans from e-bag and got mixed results. Two or three were perfect molds at great prices. Two were junk. Got my $$ back on one of the junkers, kept the other and was able to make it drop decent projectiles.

Bottom line: it's a carp shoot, even if the photos look good. IF the seller hasn't posted excellent photos or won't answer your questions, avoid like the plague.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 07-24-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just be very picky and ask for lots of pictures. I got my H&G 50 mold off there and wish I'd gotten better details as it turned out to be the BB design. I've been burned on ebay but usually honest sellers will respond and get you good pics.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

From Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Bought many there. Look closely at the pics. Bad pics, I move on. Never been screwed, just buyer beware.

Any listing that says "From Canada" in the product description in the search results I won't even click on. That guy is giving Canadians a bad name.

Cat
    I bought a Lyman Postel mould from a feller in Canada, it was supposed to be new, well he painted with some black **** he had it all over the box, it seemed as though it was never adjusted properly,
    I squared it away an it work pretty good , but was a low spot on the edge of a lube groove Here there was small ding on the flat inside next to the groove , I took a Swiss file an recut the groove ,
    I won out on that one only because the feller was an IDOIT .

Boolit Buddy
    I have bought and sold quite a few on ebay. Sold a As new 4 cav mold that the guy said was not as described. He sent me back a beat up *** that was not what I sold. With the extra pics With my markings he did not get his money back..or return shipping like he wanted, In fact he got banned but that is rare. I mostly sell harder to find molds on ebay...in fact I am going to list a hard to find 358 93 spire point mold tonight. Pretty certain it has never been used.. The harder to find molds do bring pretty high prices there most of the time though. I have never gotten a mold worth less than I paid on ebay. I am like most here careful with my choices. And I have reduced my herd of molds to either one or 2 cavity specialty molds as made and sold here on CB. How many bullets do I need?

Boolit Master

I have sold & bought on EBay for almost 20 years. I am cwlongshot across the entire web as well as my email addy, cause its me.

I can honestly say the number of times I have been dubbed can count on the fingers of one hand. Last one was last week, but I am in process of returning.

Bought paint liners the thin plastic liners for 25$ EACH. Not a pkg of 50 as advertised...

READ, look at ratings and amount of time on selling then as stated good pics and ask questions. many good folks selling there, some duds too, sure...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I will buy a mould from anywhere when I can afford a new one.
    Rules:
    Must have accurate pics of decent quality
    Must not seem like a fishy seller
    Must take normal modes of payment, not demand cashiers check or PP F&F
    Must not be priced higher than new or if it is not offered new must be reasonable.

Boolit Grand Master

I have bought numerous molds off of e-bay. If it looks iffy check to see if it can be returned if not "Caveat Emptor".
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have bought 4 from Ebay. Just happened across what I was looking for at the time.
    Had a problem twice. One mould turned out to cast bullets about 15 grains heavier than what it was supposed to according to the box it came it. Has no markings on it at all. I measured it and have used bullets cast from it, but I still don't know exactly what it is. I didn't cast with it until a couple of months after I bought it, so I never even notified the seller, let alone attempt to return it. I waited too long, my mistake.

The second problem was with a Lyman mold advertised 'as new'. When it arrived, it was FAR from as new. I gave the seller feedback other than 5 stars and he proceeds to send me a nasty message.
    Turned it over to Ebay. He no longer sells there, or at least not with that account.

After that, I quit using Ebay for anything but stuff I simply can not find elsewhere, and I'm particularly cautious.
    All in all, I find Ebay isn't worth the trouble.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast