Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Need advice on a Ruger SR 1911 in 10MM

Boolit Buddy

Need advice on a Ruger SR 1911 in 10MM

Thinking about one of these. Both of my stores did not have one in stock but could get one for me in a couple of days. According to the Ruger web site and also a article by John Taffin the trigger is a crisp 4lb. I tried a Ruger 1911 in ACP that was in stock and the trigger was probably 4lb but it sure had creep. Does anyone have this model and if so how was the stock trigger? I would like to have a more powerfull round then my 45 ACP Sigs. Good reason to buy another gun!

Boolit Grand Master

As much as I like Taffin, he’s a writer that promotes product. I wouldn’t expect any off the shelf Ruger, Colt, RIA, etc to all have a crisp 4# trigger. That’s just not the way mass production works.

That being said, if that’s what I wanted, it wouldn’t stop me from buying one with the knowledge I can get some “drop in” trigger group parts to fix the issue.

I had a Colt Delta Elite for some time but ended up gravitating to the Sig P220 SAO in 10mm. I wouldn’t mind trying another 1911 in 10mm though. But for woods carry, my G20 typically gets the nod.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't let a little thing like minor trigger tuning to stop me from buying a new gun.

Boolit Master
    As said, 1911 triggers are easy to get what you want - don't fret that.

My son in law just got a Ruger 1911 in 10mm - kind of their answer to a Range Officer, Bo-mar'ish rear sight, etc.
    Great gun, 5 1/2 # trigger from box, down to a little u !nder 5 after a few hundred rounds. Be easy to get 4 - 4 1/2.
    Get one !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Mine had around 5# trigger pull out of the box, with a small amount of gritty creep. Shoots great, very accurate and I get a "bang" reloading for her. Did my own trigger job partly using the Brownell's tech tip. Very pleased with the results.

Boolit Master
    Lipsey’s is showing the Ruger in Night Watchman dress on their website. My LGS told me a few weeks ago the guns weren’t out yet but coming soon. I like the combat fixed sights on the Night Watchman better than Bowmar type on the SR1911.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Thinking about one of these. Both of my stores did not have one in stock but could get one for me in a couple of days. According to the Ruger web site and also a article by John Taffin the trigger is a crisp 4lb. I tried a Ruger 1911 in ACP that was in stock and the trigger was probably 4lb but it sure had creep. Does anyone have this model and if so how was the stock trigger? I would like to have a more powerfull round then my 45 ACP Sigs. Good reason to buy another gun!
    I am a revolver guy but, I have the SR 1911 Ruger and love it. When I bought it I handled a Kimber 10MM alongside the Ruger that cost Approx $300.00 more. The slide felt a bit tighter on the Kimber but, the trigger was better on the Ruger. It has a little rough to it but not hard to handle. I am particular on triggers. A friend of mine who shoots a lot of semi's was surprised by the trigger let off. [he is not a Ruger person and has won a lot of competitions with semi's] I am not trying to sell Rugers but I believe it is well worth the asking price.

Boolit Buddy
    My .02 FWIW. Buy it! It's a great gun and the only thing I don't like is that I have to chase brass into the next county!! Hope this helps, Stan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Lipsey’s is showing the Ruger in Night Watchman dress on their website. My LGS told me a few weeks ago the guns weren’t out yet but coming soon. I like the combat fixed sights on the Night Watchman better than Bowmar type on the SR1911.
    I have one but in 45 acp and love it also have 9mm in lightweight Carry that a lot no issues with either one
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    Love love love the 10mm. The Pipple's Respoobleek of Kalifornistan does not allow any of the Ruger self-loading pistols within its borders as approved/certified, or I would very likely have one each of their Commander-length 45 ACPs and a Government-length 10mm. Presently, the Glocks are the only game in town for the 10mm fan--so I get by with those.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't mean to send you to another site, but there's a few threads on the Ruger Forum about the 1911 in 10mm. Some had issues and they were corrected by Ruger. I bought a Kimber Stainless Target II in 10 mm several years ago (before the Ruger model was made) and love it. That said, I shoot it and enjoy it, I'm not involved in any competitions, but had the Ruger been available, I would have bought it and save the extra money. Good Luck - Bill in MA

Boolit Master
    I have shot several hundred rounds thru my SR1911 10mm. The trigger started out good and has gotten better. I don’t have a way to measure it but it works for me. This gun wants to put 200gr NOE boolits into one hole at 25 yards but it is held back by my lack of skill. The best I’m good for is 1 1/2”.
    This Ruger has almost replaced my S&W .44 as a woods gun.

Boolit Master
    I dont worry about triggers. If I dont like them as they come. A trigger job can be done.
    I have a Ruger 10MM and like it better than a Kimber 10MM Campguard I had.

Please, in no way did I mean to offend anyone with my answer. I just made a plain statement is all.
    Please take it as that and nothing else. Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Kimber's for me, (what I have) a Target and a TLE. Love'm both. Working towards a Sig next. If I had the cash, I'd probly own one of each, (except Glock). I'm too busy with all my other projects to worry about triggers. When I'm concentrating on watching the muzzle rise, I don't really notice the creep. Get one, ENJOY !

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    My son bought one a few months ago.
    He is an excellent shot and very picky about his firearms.
    His Ruger 1911 in 10mm has been accurate, reliable and had replaced his other semis in 9mm, and .45ACP as his primary carry gun.

Boolit Master
    I bought mine the day they hit gunbroker. Best I can tell from auction history, I got the second actioned one on that site.

As others have mentioned, the trigger, right from the box, will be around 5.5 lbs and will be just a touch gritty. A good cleaning and lube got rid of all but a tiny hint of creep in mine. I lubed it with Slipstream Styx.

Mine has about 400 rounds down the pipe at this point. It has been dead reliable so far.

I don't really care for adjustable sights on a gun I carry, and I carry this one on occasion, so it now wears a Harrison Design rear sight. I did have to re-cut the sight face to get it to blend with the frame how i wanted. Nothing wrong with the Ruger supplied Bo-Mar style sight, just not my preference.

I also have RIA and Para 10mm 1911's. I have previously owned a Delta Elite as well. This is the best US made 10mm 1911 under $1K, IMHO. Next stop for me would be a Dan Wesson Valor, but that is over twice the money.

If you don't mind a non-US gun, the RIA offerings are solid guns. I have the Rock Ultra FS HC. I reduced and blended the competition magwell as I wanted something I could conceal. I have not yet replaced the rear sight, but I will as again, not a fan of adjustable sights on handguns.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Guess I got a good in trigger wise. mine's just a hair over 4. and pretty clean. But my slide to frame fit is not as tight as my SR1911 in 45. Not bad mind you - just not as good as my last one. And the only other ones I can compare it to are a kimber grand raptor, a STI trojan, and a dan wesson silverback. not exactly fair comparisons.

Sure doesn't hurt the accuracy though. right out of the box it went 10 for 10 with clay pigeons at 25 yards.