Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: old world peening a pin

Boolit Master

old world peening a pin

I have a pin that needs peened on both ends as they are exposed. Would love to give them that old time forged look. I can get the one end decent as it is in a bench vise but how do we get the pin after installation get the same peened look as the other end?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Use a polished, hardened punch.

I peen pins in knife and tool handles sometimes. The way I do it to get it the same, is put the pin in the item, and peen one side some (bout half what I want) against the vise, flip it over and peen the other side, then flip and finish the first side.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    What are they being installed on? If a gun, bad juju could be in your future.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    yup, on a gun! I looked and searched (the gunsmith of grenville) and all has been vain. Its the linkage on a blackpowder pistol that is attached to a ball that slides on the shaft of the ram rod. It is missing the pin at the barrel.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    For knife handle scales I use a piece of leather with a small hole punched in it for the pin to go through, and lay it on the anvil under the piece you are working on, it protects the wood but lets the pin sit solidly against the anvil face. I then punch another hole in a thicker piece of leather, and hold it down tightly over the pin , and peen it down, with a small ballpeen hammer, until it has a nice rounded head, alternating from one side to the other until they are tight. Use your thumb and finger to guide the nose of the hammer, and if you miss you just hit the leather , and won't spoil the surrounding surface.

I like to have the pins a little proud of the handle surface, looks more like an old knife where, the wood has shrunk away from the head of the rivet.

Boolit Master
    surprise, surprise, surprise! The only pistol I could find and see close up is a US model 1836 and it appears the part I need might be a bolt and screw. Boy, would that be an embarrassing fix if I am correct. This thing is to keep the ramrod with gun but an incredible lack of info for it!! Any one know more?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Depending upon the exact pistol you have, one end of the pivoting linkage has a pin & the other a screw - or, both ends have a pin.

If you google your make/model pistol. and check google images, you can most likely find a pic of what's needed for your pistol.

Since you didn't mention exactly what pistol you have, I googled "muzzleloading pistol with pivoting ramrod", and came up with these two examples (of many)p:

Last edited by pietro; 06-02-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    yup, thats what we got except it is a flintlock. It is old and I want to do the right thing for it. The lock has a safety in it. Safe minded pistoleer in the days gone by.
    Look twice, shoot once.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    This trigger guard comes as parts from either Century or Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser-M98-...m/222726274085
    https://www.centuryarms.com/pa980160.html

The 0.94" = 3/32" holes in the thin cast Aluminum alloy can not take having the included roll pin pounded in.
    So one must peen over some kind of rivet.
    I have ordered all kinds of rivets and rivet material, and now practicing peening.
    The first end is easy.

How to get the second end peened is the hard part for me.

Boolit Master
    My old Puma hunting knife bought about 45 years ago with stag handles has the peened over brass pins. Don't know if the newer ones have the same setup. Nice touch on an old hunting knife. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Flintlock with an external (Outside of the lock) safety is called a 'dog lock' - the safety is a 'dog'. Old term. Pictures would be necessary to give you more specific advice.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    First lesson - Never peen both ends of a pin you might have to remove. That's called a rivet.

Jeff