RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone hunted with the 44 mag lee HP?

If you need an instadrop you need to be shooting in the neck. They will not twitch and it is extremely easy to do. People underestimate their ability about a neck shot until they try it. If you can shoot a 4" group at 100yds then a neck shot is very doable at that distance. Deer are very easy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Triplebeards,

I'd say, after much success with a wide flat nose cast in the 45/70 and last Fall taking two deer with a WFN cast of 275/280gr fired from my RUGER 77/44, WHY?????

Both 2017 deer dropped where they stood, one from a side to side behind the shoulders shot at a measured 95 - 100yds and the other much closer.

On both, 100% pass through, the bullet on the second completely penetrating the neck bone on a frontal shot, then going on through the shoulder blade and exiting.

Muzzle velocity with the .44 WFN - 1750fps.

With the 45/70 on a growing pile of deer and with a velocity of 1650fps, every deer has dropped where it stood with one exception where the bullet struck at about the diaphragm on a side to side shot.

Hollow point cast bullet may be fun to cast, and way cool to look at but are simply NOT needed not even considering the possible excess damage to good meat.

By the way, my WFN 45/70 bullet has also accounted for 3 elk.

So no, I have not hunted with the lee H.P. and won't or with any other H.P. for that matter. Simply not needed with a good Wide Flat Nose cast!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    That is what is nice about opinions you can have one you can express it. But it does not make the rule of Universe.

I have used hollow points with even lower velocity with great success. One load I absolutely love is in my 480 Ruger rifles. 270 grain HP GC real soft lead over 9.0 grains of Universal velocity right around 1000 FPS drops deer and varmints in there tracks. Fun load to shoot and very effective. I say just goes with what works.

I also have a SWC HP mold from MiHec for the 45 LC that load with nice easy dose of Unique in my Henry Carbine is allot of fun to shoot and it is also very effective on deer and varmints.

I agree WFN is good design and very effective as well but different designs have good history and meaning.

One f the things I really like about this site is th diverse collaboration of ideas and ingenuity.

Interesting, I haven't seen that boolit before. Big Devastator .44 fan here.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Just loaded some up. They are loaded at 1.575" at the top lube groove pretty short compaired to my 1.640" devastators.

Love the colours - it's like a lolly shop!

Boolit Mold
    I had a worst experience with them and I will not use them ever again

Banned
    44 caliber hole kills things --- HP or not (As Elmer proved many times )

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I tried a few loads with them at a hundred yards out of my 77/44. The gun doesn't like them at all. Maybe I'll load them a little longer and try again. Devastators I got to shoot sub MOA. Think I'll just stick with them for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12