RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: RCBS Rock Chucker IV or Lyman Orange Crusher

Boolit Buddy

RCBS Rock Chucker IV or Lyman Orange Crusher

I recently acquired a couple of used presses. A rock chucker IV and orange crusher. Is one any better than the other? They are close to the same except the RCBS will take the bushings that I may or may not use. I primary plan to use this press to size boolits. I have a Forster Coax for everything else. The RCBS is in better shape overall, but both are perfectly useable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ujp0N2O.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	221412

Boolit Buddy
    I would keep the Rock chucker. Can convert it to hornady bushings if you so desire later and RCBS customer service is was better than Lymans lack of service. Also RCBS offers an optional priming system if you plan to prime on the press.

Boolit Master
    I'm partial to the green, but have no experience with the orange. Loaded a bunch with the two original Rock Chuckers on my bench.

Boolit Master

My view is not balanced since I've never pulled the handle on the Lyman, but I'd keep the Rock Chucker. Mine has been terrific. Sturdy, smooth action and I know that if I ever have a problem RCBS will take care of me.

But really, why not keep both? The Lyman might be useful for various odd jobs.

Boolit Master
    I've had both and say keep the green one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    My view is not balanced since I've never pulled the handle on the Lyman, but I'd keep the Rock Chucker. Mine has been terrific. Sturdy, smooth action and I know that if I ever have a problem RCBS will take care of me.

But really, why not keep both? The Lyman might be useful for various odd jobs.
    I already have a Forster, RCBS Jr, and Dillon 650. What could I need 2 more single stage presses for?

Boolit Master
    I would keep the RCBS mainly for my customer service experience with both brands.

Boolit Grand Master
    another vote for the RCBS.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I would keep the RCBS. You stated that it was in better condition and their CS is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by n10sivern View Post
    I already have a Forster, RCBS Jr, and Dillon 650. What could I need 2 more single stage presses for?
    I don't know about your other presses, but those both look excellent. I say sell or trade off what you don't need. If you just want a setup for sizing cast boolits a "C" press with open front would be handier.

JIMHO
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by n10sivern View Post
    I dunno. Probably nothing to do with need. Why I have 3 single stage presses when it could be argued that my RC would handle all of the SS duties. Recently sold 2 others. Down to a Summit, Ultramag, and RC IV. If I had to own just one of them, it would be the RC.

Banned

I owned both and still have the green one. Mostly because of the crappy service ive had from lyman. Not because its an inferior press. Orange crushers are darned good presses. They will do anything a rock chucker will do. What might be a thought is because both of them are great presses a guy might keep the lyman because hes going to get a few more $ for the rcbs.

I am sure both will work just fine for what you want to do with it and both will last for another 100 years if taken care of. For me, I prefer RCBS even though I never had a bad experience with Lyman (just started with RCBS and never saw a reason to change that for the single stage presses.)
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I owned both and still have the green one. Mostly because of the crappy service ive had from lyman. Not because its an inferior press. Orange crushers are darned good presses. They will do anything a rock chucker will do. What might be a thought is because both of them are great presses a guy might keep the lyman because hes going to get a few more $ for the rcbs.
    I’m thinking I may keep the Lyman for that reason. I can possibly sell the RCBS and get more $. It’s not like I’ll be abusing it anyway.

For the record, this isn’t an advertisement to sell.

Boolit Master
    I think both of these presses are really cheap and not worth much money so would keep both of them set up for different operations. But maybe you are not as lazy as I am and enjoy swapping dies and such?

Boolit Buddy
    All my reloading is on my Dillon and Forster. This would just be for bullet sizing and occasional bullet pulling

Boolit Master
    I've owned them both, and kept the Lyman. No good reason, they're both good. I guess the ergonomics suited me better, dunno.

Boolit Bub
    I’ve also owned them both. I still have the RCBS. The Orange Crusher was a solid press and could handle anything I put it up to. I enjoyed it. I simply liked the RCBS more!

Boolit Buddy

I own both. Both are great. If you are going to sell, the rcbs will likely bring more. My orange crusher has loaded 10's of thousands of rounds and going strong. Now it is used to decap. Rcbs used to swage primer pockets.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both a rock chucker and the lyman orange crusher. The rock chucker is mounted sideways and a lube sizer mounted in it. This is for 38-45 cal bpcr bullets. I seldom use it as I now shoot as cast. The lyman gets used for case forming chores. For actual loading of rounds the coax summit or the 650s get the nod. The lyman can be set up to prime with a lee ram prime unit.

Both are good solid presses. One thing to check is the ram to dies alighnment. If one is out more than the other that might be a deciding factor. Another thing is mount each on a board and clamp down. load a few rounds with each and see if one feels better than the other to you.