RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hi skor 700x

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Nice in 30-30 w/155 grn cast lead
    search mouse fart loads

RCBS Little Dandy with rotors meters it well for me.

Banned

I inherited a big keg of it which I started using recently. My old Lyman manual from the '70s has data for just about everything using 700X. When I ran out of Green Dot, I started using 10 grains of it in my plinking and practice load in the 7x57 and it seems to work just fine.

Boolit Master

You can do the equivalent of Ed Harris' "the load" (13 grains of Red Dot in a suitable rifle cartridge) with a grain or two less of 700x and a cast boolit. I have.

As always, reduce a bit and work up carefully.

https://castbulletassoc.org/forum/th...ns-of-red-dot/
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Way back when I used to shoot skeet, 700x or Red Dot were the most common powders used for 12 ga skeet loads.

I did likewise when I was into trap and skeet shooting with my 12 and 20 gauge shotguns. I used many cans of both powders, still have 1 can for 8 lb. of 700X on a shelf, at one time I had a dresser draw full of washed 25 lb. shot bags from loading.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by retiredPO View Post
    was given a tin, of 700x,,,, cant find data or info on it, any help would be appreciated.
    I have a lot of experience with 700X , handgun and cast boolit loads and would be glad to share 50 years of experience.
    What info are you looking for....a few details would help me help you.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Look at this down loaded rifle data . Loads for 700x http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Frank G.

Great shotshell powder

Boolit Buddy
    used 700x when I couldn't find Titegroup or HP-38. worked very nicely in 380 ACP, 38 spl., target loads in 45ACP. does bridge some but had very good results.

Boolit Buddy

Has been a great performer for me in 38 special with hbwc, and 45acp jhp target loads.

700x worked OK for me in 45 ACP, burns cleaner than Bullseye. The measuring problem with 700x gives larger velocity spreads than acceptable for serious target work but OK for plinking.
    WST and VV 310 both measure nicely. VV310 is faster than Bullseye, compensates for its high cost.

Boolit Bub
    Since 700X is now a Hodgdon powder, go to the Hodgdon.com website and navigate to the reloading data page. Choose your caliber and check the 700X powder box (along with boolit weight). Start with their recommendation(s).

Boolit Bub
    I have either a 4 or 8 pound jug I kinda inherited and never cracked the seal yet. Ive used Clays for most of my reduced (steel) loads and its been tough to beat as far as clean goes with a cast and reduced load. Big old flakes and I'd imagine it doesn't meter all that well but the times and steel don't show it. Running a 200 gr SWC under 700 fps out of a .45ACP {old school) and is one of the only powders that doesn't leave the cases black at that speed. You can feel the gun cycling like the 9MM 1911. I've had to tap the trigger more than twice, thought I didnt have the grip safety squeezed but not convinced the slide wasn't into battery yet, thats how gentle the load is.

Yes, 700X brings me back to the trap range in the 80’s. W-W double A hulls.

Boolit Master
    BUT ....for use in hand guns it meters horribly ...like trying to reliably meter corn flakes.

i gave away a 8 pound jug of it because of that alone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    I should mention it does not meter above 10ish grains very well in the rcbs powder thrower , you get bridges that fall later and make a mess and obviously innacurate charges
    I use it a lot in cast rifle loads and have found this to be true. Ten grains seems a good load for a lot of things, kind of like Unique. In my experience, using the rotor that throws five grains and throwing two charges per round works a lot better than trying to use the ten grain rotor.

Dad gave me some of this and I plan to use it up in cast loads in rifles. Good stuff so far.

Boolit Buddy
    I used 700X for years in my pistol loads and at times in my light loads for shooting cast bullets in rifles. Great powder!

Banned

What caliber are you looking for data on for 700X?

Banned

The old Lyman cast bullet manuals I have include 700X data for almost everything.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by retiredPO View Post
    was given a tin, of 700x,,,, cant find data or info on it, any help would be appreciated.
    Download the Lyman 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook for free here; http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

You're gonna have to look pretty hard in that book for something that doesn't have 700X data for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12