MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Red Dot and Promo

Banned

Red Dot and Promo

People on here have said they are the same powder, but when I looked at the alliant website, it said "same burn rate as Red Dot, but higher density".

SO are they really the same thing?

Banned

learned something. I was allways told that promo was redot that just didn't have the red dots in it. Could it be that it is less dense just because it doesn't have the red filler in it?

Boolit Grand Master

Volume is only an issue for shotgun reloaders that use bushings. For metallic reloading you’re using weight. Yes, we use volume measures but you’re weighing the charge that comes out of it. Use the printed charge weight and the two powders are interchangeable. Promo works great in “The Load” and is economical to boot.

Banned

I loaded quite a bit of promo in 12 ga a little in 38's.

12 ga I found responded better to a tad more was pressure and deeper crimp than RD needed.

A 12 ga 7/8 oz wad and promo worked quite well for me.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Red Dot and Promo

If you don’t ever weigh your charges then volume is a concern. For me it’s a non issue. Even w/ the Lee auto disc, that I have discs set up for, I check the charge weight before loading. People are over thinking this. Weigh the charge before filling a case and there’s no issue. The reason for Alliant’s disclaimer is because of the fixed charge bushings used in some presses. You will over charge a case w/ Promo if you’re using the same one you’d use for RD. it’s as simple as that.

Here is a Mec chart: https://www.mecoutdoors.com/content/...shingChart.pdf
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 01-23-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Volume is only an issue for shotgun reloaders that use bushings. For metallic reloading you’re using weight. Yes, we use volume measures but you’re weighing the charge that comes out of it. Use the printed charge weight and the two powders are interchangeable. Promo works great in “The Load” and is economical to boot.
    Correct.

Performance is the same by weight. Can be used in all platforms interchangeably. That was confirmed with Ben at Aliant. I buy 4 jugs at a time and density is consistent within a lot number. Just find the right bushing to give desired weight and go for it when loading 12 ga.

Stupid to buy RD unless you use dippers and need consistent density lot to lot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Red Dot and Promo

Any time a component is changed the load should be worked back up. This includes lot number changes of powder. Dropping down some and working back up is best practice. This is what’s taught in every manual. If people don’t want to follow it then that’s on them. I will stand by my statement that volume is of no concern. Because people should be checking charge weights w/ a scale. But I can’t prevent people from doing dumb things.

Banned
    I had to ask the question, density can be an issue if your a dipper like I am at the moment.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Correct.

Performance is the same by weight. Can be used in all platforms interchangeably. That was confirmed with Ben at Aliant. I buy 4 jugs at a time and density is consistent within a lot number. Just find the right bushing to give desired weight and go for it when loading 12 ga.

Stupid to buy RD unless you use dippers and need consistent density lot to lot.
    No one in Montana claims their distributors stock it so they can't order it. Ordering it from Graff & Sons pushes the price to what I can get Red Dot 8 lbs for locally. I think there are some trap shooters 50 miles away but they are elitist and want you to join their club before you could piggyback an order assuming they can get it.
    Probably a few more not to shoot promo but that's all I got for now.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    I reload pistol bullets and only measure by weight, I have switched strictly to Promo as the same weight charges are having consistent velocities/performance compared to RD at what I believe to be a significant savings. I buy it 8 lbs at a time locally so it is readily available in northern Ohio. My friends that reload locally all pretty much agree, as it not only one of the cheapest powder is is far more efficient, the only draw back I think is that is seems to burn rather dirty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckw11 View Post
    I reload pistol bullets and only measure by weight, I have switched strictly to Promo as the same weight charges are having consistent velocities/performance compared to RD at what I believe to be a significant savings. I buy it 8 lbs at a time locally so it is readily available in northern Ohio. My friends that reload locally all pretty much agree, as it not only one of the cheapest powder is is far more efficient, the only draw back I think is that is seems to burn rather dirty.
    after serious shooting with Red Dot, based on the residue left behind, I believe its the same powder used by Remington for its rimfire ammo.

I don't know what the red flakes actually are, but there doesn't seem to be many of them