RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi skor 700x

Boolit Man

hi skor 700x

was given a tin, of 700x,,,, cant find data or info on it, any help would be appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    Shotgun powder, can be used in light handgun loads also. Fast burning rate.

Boolit Master
    It was quite possibly the very favorite of trap shooters in the 70s or perhaps 80s. Very clean and uniform.

Uncle R.

Boolit Master

700X can be used in low velocity Rifle applications. Do a "Search" on this site for 700X and Rifle; it will result in several threads on using700X in rifle loads. A couple of results I copied appear below:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-700x-in-rifle

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...en-Dot-or-700x
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

It was designed as a shotgun powder, but has application to handgun too. The current Hodgdon website doesn't have much data for handgun. My old Lyman cast bullet manual, and other older manuals do. If you don't get much response, let me know and I'll start scanning some old manuals. Most of the data is 20 years old, about the time 700x was in the press. You will need to let me know what you are planning to load it in. Think faster than Unique and slower than Red Dot or Bullseye.

Boolit Master

For years, I shot 700x for NRA Bullseye in both .38 Spl and .45 ACP. Still a favorite powder for .38 mid-range loads using 3.2 gr. under a 148 gr RN.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Use this page to find what might work for what calibers or shotgun might work for you.( or rifle, but you will have to check around for that since they(Hodgedon) are not sharing that sort of data)):
    https://www.hodgdon.com/hi-skor-700-x/

You can also go through this load data checklist for their load data for the powders they offer, ( Hodgdon, IMR, Winch./Western) to get their data for what you are shooting as well. It is a very handy link & you should bookmark it for later use, since it is handy for just about any cartridge/caliber using their powders)... . Here is the link: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Anyway, I use it(700X) on occasion. Mostly pistols, but sometimes shotgun. I have not used it in rifles yet though, as I have not seen the need since I have other powders I prefer to use.
    It(700X) is a handy powder to use though, & very economical for what it can do with the price of it & how little is usually used to load rounds. It is pretty fast on the burn rate chart & that should be kept in mind...

It will be worth some looking around to see if it can be used for what ya shoot. If not, it is a good trade to others ya know, who might find it useful if you can't use it.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Its my go to powder right now, tho ive not found a load in my 45 colt i call accurate (may well not be 700x fault). 13g behind the 170 grain Keith is my most accurate load in 3 diffrent twist rate .358 win rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Its my go to powder right now, tho ive not found a load in my 45 colt i call accurate (may well not be 700x fault). 13g behind the 170 grain Keith is my most accurate load in 3 diffrent twist rate .358 win rifles.
    I should mention it does not meter above 10ish grains very well in the rcbs powder thrower , you get bridges that fall later and make a mess and obviously innacurate charges

Boolit Master
    45 acp, .38 special, .40 s&w. Lots of different uses.Works nice with cast.

Banned
    Yep - shotgun powder with lots of handgun applications. Pretty fast burning stuff, like Bullseye or ww231. Flake powder.
    When used for handgun loads it is generally better suited in light target loads than heavy loads.

and I'll second zymguy, it doesn't meter real well.

Boolit Master
    Way back when I used to shoot skeet, 700x or Red Dot were the most common powders used for 12 ga skeet loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    I should mention it does not meter above 10ish grains very well in the rcbs powder thrower , you get bridges that fall later and make a mess and obviously innacurate charges

+1 on this post. Even in pistol; I weigh every charge drop because of "Bridging Problems". Last fall had to pull 150 wadcutter .38 specials because I had "Forgotten" about the bridging and notes that there seemed to be something out of wack with the loads. But; I have gotten to where I weigh each drop for most applications any way.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I go through a 8lb container ever year. 45 acp and a cast lee 230 for several sub guns, 45 LC cowboy action with a 200 grain and 12/20 gauge target loads for sporting clays, trap and cowboy action. Oh, 9mm cast and 40 S&W cast as well.

Boolit Master
    Used it for trap and skeet loads in 12 ga. Also 38Special wadcutter loads andand a very accurate ligt load in 30/06 with 190+?_ cast boolits. Older Speer manual has data for 38 Special. Lyman cast, 3rd edition had data for 30/06, I think. If not thhen Lyman No47 . a good powder.

Boolit Master
    Look in the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook-- especially 3rd edition, and you will find 700x loads for many, many calibers and bullets. I use 700x lots for cast and mostly use that old Lyman data-- never had any trouble doing it.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Here's the Loading Data from a DuPont sheet. Because of the CB restrictions for attachments, this is a post on another forum that isn't cinchy about attachments ...
    https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...num=1527896614
    Regards
    John

I was recently given a 1 lb can of 700x from an acquaintance who no longer reloads. I am finding success with light WC loads in 38 spl. It seems to be a pretty close equivalent to Bullseye.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I think it is way overlooked, it is accurate and way cleaner than bullseye in 45 acp.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    It seems to be a pretty close equivalent to Bullseye.
    I have been using it as exactly that for years. Burns cleaner. Meters ok in my Dillons if you can handle plus or minus a couple of tenths and you're not right at max. WST (another shotgun powder) is the cleanest and best metering Bullseye replacement out there IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast