Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman #55 Powder Hopper Replacement

Boolit Buddy

Lyman #55 Powder Hopper Replacement

Team Orange has not been any help. Can someone suggest what they have had successfully replace the plastic powder hopper on this powder measure? It’s my favorite by far.

Thank You!

Bevan
    Last edited by WheelgunConvert; 05-31-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Missing text

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a used one a few years ago that was seized up. Took a few days to get it apart ant cleaned up. I ordered a hopper and a few parts from Lyman, and they were no help at all. It seems a new hopper is still available, part number 7990262.
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/access...ent-parts.html

It's threaded at the bottom and threads into the body of the measure. Their website shows it's available but no prices? MIDWAY also has the tall reservoir that holds a lb.
    Last edited by 2011redrider; 05-31-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Google the term Lyman 55 powder measure replacement parts...hit the search button , it will bring you to the site:
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/55-powd...lacement-parts . Click on it and it will bring you to the Lyman replacement parts site....I don't know of any other way to find , Lymans home page doesn't seem to lead to it.

The SKU # is 7998298 for the 55 powder measure reservoir.
    The parts diagram shows it as part #2...with a part number 7990262....but don't use that number to order it , use the SKU number 7998298 . You can order right from Lyman, it's in stock and the price is $6.62. While you are ordering go ahead and order any other parts you think you may need, like the cap, handle, slide parts....you'll save on postage and by having a spare part it will guarantee those parts will never break. I did this with my Lyman 450 lube/sizer , since I have parts...it will never break !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

Thank You! I’ll try the Lyman site again. Part#s are quite helpful.

I had a Lyman customer service rep (2 different people) on the phone twice and I got the impression that they were looking at the same webpages that I was... no answers.

I got this thing a number of years ago in a box of reloading stuff at a yard sale for $100. Lots of guy stuff, probably a divorce in retrospect. I don’t think most of the stuff had ever been used as it was mostly still in original mfg boxes. The sign said make offer. All I could see in top of the box was 4# varget , 4# H4198, a couple # H4350, 1# unique, a TMag press and a RCBS TURBO timber. When I got it home None of the powder had been opened, there was a RCBS precision 223 die set, Lee 45 app die set, 2k cci SRP, 1k cci LPP, 1k Hornady 55 FMJ, 5x100 ct bags of new 223 brass, a huge bottle of Hoppes#9, 2 of the large assortment cleaning kits in wood boxes- unopened, a new trimmer, a new beam balance, and this powder measure ( assembled and unboxed)with some other loose items. All told, easily over $800 with $500 of it being consumables that I currently used!

Fast forward to present. The consumables have all been used up. I am no longer too cheap to pay for varget to push my SMKs ( now STMKs). Only recently have I started loading, and casting, for 45acp. I only have used the TMag maybe 10x, but it really helps when I am going to be loading >200 of a specific round in a session. But to me, the best prize in that Cracker Jack box, was that antique looking powder measure that I would never have purchased otherwise.

Hopefully you didn’t keep reading to this point, but it is the one winning lottery ticket I ever purchased.

Have a good evening gents.

Boolit Master
    The replacement reservoir listed for the No 55 classic measure is the snap in type.If your measure uses the threaded version the metal reservoir for the black powder 55 has the correct threads.The main Lyman website has no info on parts.A google search will bring up the parts website.Parts can be ordered direct from the website.Buffalo Arms also has a brass reservoir on their website.It is the threaded style.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Dram Worx they make several replacement hoppers for various measures
    have their replacement for the ole RCBS Duo-measure and works great, no
    problems.
    https://dramworx.com/products/lyman/

-Rock

Boolit Buddy
    I made one myself out of a piece of brass bar rail tubing. It was a perfect fit, plus eliminates having to worry about static. Eventually, I stopped worrying about static charges igniting black powder, but at the time, it was a comfort.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockzilla View Post
    Try Dram Worx they make several replacement hoppers for various measures
    have their replacement for the ole RCBS Duo-measure and works great, no
    problems.
    https://dramworx.com/products/lyman/

-Rock
    Thanks for that link. I've got one on my Phelps and will add one to my Dillon.

7998298 is the sky on the receipt I got from Lyman when I ordered mine couple months ago it’s the snap in type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Well, I found a cheap replacement piece at Home Depot. It is a polycarbonate tube for storing nails and such. It has colored vinylish end caps...one end has a slit to access contents. Just immerse an end without the cap, into very hot water for 10-20 seconds and press fit into the base.

Boolit Master
    I think that we have members here who know more about Lyman's offerings than does Lyman. Without sarcasm, I say that some of their employees may be uninformed and misinformed.