Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Smoking scope deal

Boolit Master

Smoking scope deal

Don't know if anyone has a Vortex but they've gotten pretty good reviews from what I've read. Anyone have any experience with them? Price s right for now...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/76...-reticle-matte

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Lower end optic, way too high of magnification, but in good light, if all you like doing is putting tiny holes into paper targets, it'd be great.

Boolit Master

Guess it depends on what you're going to use it for.....

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    My son just put one of those on a used Remington M700 in .270.
    It seems like a pretty good quality optic... excellent focus adjustments, good clarity and repeatable consistent reticle adjustments.
    We ran about 40 rounds through the rifle on Monday and the scope seemed to take it all in stride...no miss, no fuss.
    Seems to be on an equal level with the Leupold scopes that I tend to favor.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have that particular scope, but I have had a Vortex Crossfire for several years that has given excellent service. I also have three pair of Vortex binoculars and a Vortex rangefinder and have no complaints about any of them. Vortex delivers good value with a quality product, IMO.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Vortex Viper in a 6x14 and it's a really good scope. Seems to pair very well with my Savage 10 in 308. I find it hold zero very well and is incredibly clear for a scope at their price point. Vortex has a great warranty as well.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    I have their 5-20 Razor....pricy but excellent in every way. The Viper is not a low end scope and I would not hesitate to buy one. Currently looking for a Vortex for a hunting rifle in the 3-9 or 4-12 range.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have a Vortex Viper. Good scope, and will hang with my Leupold Gold Ring. Both about the same price.
    It would be nice if Vortex made a long eye relief for pistols. Irons on my silhouette gun are not as good to my old eyes anymore.

Boolit Master

Vortex makes a fantastic rifle scope, have one on my 6.5 RPR.

Boolit Master
    It can be a 6x50 scope if that is what you need, and then the only disadvantages over any other 6x50 are a very few ounces and a small fraction of an inch in the height at which you can mount it.

The Chinese and the Japanese before them have done a pretty good job on optics. Their problem has traditionally been durability under fire, and I think the Chinese have got on top of that as the Japanese did. Enough of these are surely mounted on very heavily recoiling rifles, to give more complaints than they could survive if that was a problem. If I had, say, a 6.5mm. rifle, I would fit one without worries.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post
    Lower end optic, way too high of magnification, but in good light, if all you like doing is putting tiny holes into paper targets, it'd be great.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. I know I can't afford a Leupold or Zeiss scope. There are many reasons why a person could need a high magnification scope besides paper punching. I hunt deer with a 6-24X scope. On our lease, we do selective shooting and cull a few does. If a deer is at 150-200 yards, it can be hard to tell if a deer is a doe and not a small spike unless you have a lot of magnification.

Boolit Buddy
    Their lifetime warranty is top notch, my son's binocular had one of the lens cover ripped off by my grandson, he called them and asked to buy a replacement since it wasn't the products or manufacturing defect, they sent a replacement free of charge.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

I never owned that exact scope but I did own this one.
    Attachment 221429
    I like the high-power scopes on my sporting rifles so I thought I'd try one. I used it for about 6 months & then sold it & replaced it with an older Leupold 6.5x-20-40mm 1" tubed scope. The Vortex at the higher powers 12x & up, you could definitely see the decrease in brightness. From a personal stand point, I hated the 30mm tube & the larger rings. It felt like I was mounting a rifle on my scope! (LOL) Over all the scope held up to recoil without a hitch, adjustments were smooth & accurate & the external finish was excellent. I understand there warranty & customer service is top notch. But the Vortex could not compete on image sharpness & brightness next to the Leupold.

FWIW IMHO
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    The exit pupil of a scope is objective diameter divided by magnification. The average human eye in poor light has a pupil diameter of about 7mm. The difference between 6x50 (8.33mm. exit pupil) and 12x50 (4.17mm) is going to be noticeable no matter what scope is doing it. doubt if the difference between a 50mm. and 40mm. objective is going to be made up by the difference between one good scope and another. The larger tube and larger erecting lens should be a help too.

In fact I like and will stick with my 3-9x40 Leupold. But I wouldn't kid myself into expecting a bigger difference than I got, in a side by side comparison with a nameless Japanese scope of the same specification, which I use on an air rifle. In fact if I was going out to shoot a deer today, I would probably take a gamble on doing it with my short Martini in .40-65 or some European chambering indistinguishable from it, and its 7/8in. tube pre-war Zeiss.

Banned

lower end if your comparing to Kahles, Swarovski, nightforce ect. But a razor is every bit as good as a vx3 leupold or a 4200 elite bushnell or anything burris makes. I doubt your going to find more scope in that magnification range for the same money.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post

Boolit Buddy
    I may just be a low end kinda guy, but I use Vortex 6x20x44 on my jug shooting guns , and I promise you at 500 yards you don't want me poking at you. I prefer Leupold but hard to beat Vortex combo of quality vs cost. I think I have 5 vortex and 8 or 9 leupold and a couple Burris.

Discontinued model. They're all gone now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got 4 Vortex scopes (2 x 7) and love 'em.. Just bought some binos and they are great. They work and work good.