Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: First Casting

First Casting

So, last night I tried my first casting! Mostly rejects, but got some good boolits too. Thought I ought to share a pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_0008 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	221352
    The middle boolit was cast by Brassmagnet. The other two are mine. Thought I should put a good one in there for comparison.
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

And down the rabbit hole he falls.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If you preheat your molds on an electric hotplate B4 starting to FULL casting temp (not just warm!), you will get perfect drops from the 1st one. I always do! You are just wasting time trying to heat your molds up with Pb pours. Also preheat your feed ingots for you pot to save recovery time when adding more ingots.

Welcome to the insanity.

Boolit Master
    They look good to me , so don't let the rejects bother you they can be recycled HaHaHa and practice makes perfect . Good job

Well done! Good tips on preheating molds, either hot plate or the top of the pot works too.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I helps to have a mentor, welcome to the addiction!!!

Boolit Master

Those look good enough. You can also dip the corner of the mold into the lead for a 10-25 count. When the lead falls off and doesn't stick to the blocks it is hot enough. A tempo or rhythm is important to casting consistent bullets.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

It looks like you are off to a good start. Welcome to the addiction!

looks great welcome to the club

Boolit Master

Boolits look good, you’ve come to the right place for your habit that you don’t know you have yet. Lots of enablers here!

Boolit Master
    Knightflyer.

Thanks for the post.

Those bullet look like they might be .30 caliber, not that the size is really that important for my comments, but ------------------

Casting and sizing .30 caliber 175gr bullets, I was having a real issue with concentric results, meaning that the bullets were not coming out of the sizer/luber evenly sized.

I really doubt that such lop sided bullets could have done much for accuracy.

So, due to the recommendations of my 45/70 cast bullet mold maker for using a two step sizing and lubing process on those bullets I started to wonder if a two step process might solve my problem with non-concentric bullets.

It did and now my .30 caliber bullets are wonderfully even.

I first run the cast bullets through a push through die of the desired dia., in my cast .309, and then run them through a .310 sizer/luber die for lubing.

End result, excellent!

By the way, the reason for the suggested two step process with the 45/70 bullets was not to solve a concentric bullet problem, but that idea provided the pathway to solving the issue with the .30 caliber lop sided bullets.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    If you preheat your molds on an electric hotplate B4 starting to FULL casting temp (not just warm!), you will get perfect drops from the 1st one. I always do! You are just wasting time trying to heat your molds up with Pb pours. Also preheat your feed ingots for you pot to save recovery time when adding more ingots.n

Welcome to the insanity.
    You know, my MIL gave us a hot plate if I can find it around here...
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Knightflyer.

Thanks for the post.

Those bullet look like they might be .30 caliber, not that the size is really that important for my comments, but ------------------

Casting and sizing .30 caliber 175gr bullets, I was having a real issue with concentric results, meaning that the bullets were not coming out of the sizer/luber evenly sized.

I really doubt that such lop sided bullets could have done much for accuracy.

So, due to the recommendations of my 45/70 cast bullet mold maker for using a two step sizing and lubing process on those bullets I started to wonder if a two step process might solve my problem with non-concentric bullets.

It did and now my .30 caliber bullets are wonderfully even.

I first run the cast bullets through a push through die of the desired dia., in my cast .309, and then run them through a .310 sizer/luber die for lubing.

End result, excellent!

By the way, the reason for the suggested two step process with the 45/70 bullets was not to solve a concentric bullet problem, but that idea provided the pathway to solving the issue with the .30 caliber lop sided bullets.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    They are indeed 30 cal bullets from a NOE mold.
    Shalom y'all!