Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convince me I need a .45 AR wheelgun

Boolit Buddy
    You're not helping. I was trying hard to convince myself for past month that I don't need a 45 wheelgun .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    You're not helping. I was trying hard to convince myself for past month that I don't need a 45 wheelgun .
    Wrong end of the net for that sort of advice, Pilgrim...

Boolit Master

I fall into the camp of "Moon clips are an annoying PITA", so if you're sitting on a small mountain of Auto Rim brass, you're off to a good start, IMO.

That said, having a few mooners around to dispose of your non-feeding ACP reloading errors is WAY more fun than pulling bullets.

Advantages over .357, or some other things? It's basically in the same ballistic performance company as the classic old west gunfighter cartridges - that is to say, big diameter, heavy slug, relatively low velocity. This makes is very practical for what handguns are actually supposed to be used for - making large, ugly holes in things to distances beyond which you'd really be better off using a rifle. Unlike the various magnums, it isn't even trying to pretend to be a rifle, and I find I'm coming to like that kind of purity of function. It is also low pressure and has a very stiff case head, both of which will provide you with a lot of accuracy potential. The lack of requirement to bump bullets up and over a feed ramp allows you to shoot some truly catastrophic nose designs with impunity. As I like to say of the 452423, Elmer Keith had to be EXTRA P-Oed at the world when he designed that one.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

S&W Mountain Gun in 45 ACP, Model 625-6, 4" tapered barrel. Target sights. No lock. A run of them was made in 2000. Plan on spending at least a grand. Good luck!
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 06-01-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumslie View Post
    True. How about rephrasing it this way..

If I have X amount of money

And both a 45 acp revolver and a .460 cost exactly the same..

Why would I choose .45 over. 460?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Have you shot a 460 S&W yet?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Have you shot a 460 S&W yet?
    Sure have. One handed. That's how I got the bug

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    If you have to ask you probably dont “need” it. However I have 2 of them and wish I had more, I carry my JM 625-8 daily in an el paso tom three persons rig (I dont get to town much) and have shot every thing from 200gr. swc to the best 45 colt boolit of all time the rcbs 45-270-saa through it in auto rim brass and acp brass with and without clips, it will take care of 99% of the stuff around here that needs shot mostly with its favorite load a lyman 452460 crimped in the top lube groove and scootin out the front around 950-1000. for the other 1% of the time if i need something bigger I’ve got a steel box full of rifles. I dont see much need for a 460 wheelgun, I’ve nothing to prove.

Over the years, I've owned 4 different .45 Auto Rim revolvers (all S&W's). Two of them Brazilian imports, one of which I still own, a Model of 1988 with a 5 inch barrel, and currently a Mountain Gun version.

All shot well, very well.

Reasons to own one? Versatility being the #1 reason. The 45 ACP cartridge can be bought off the shelf in quiet a few offerings. Anything from light target up to high end self defense rounds. Not so much with the 45 Auto Rim however. But, considering you reload you have one of the most versatile handgun cartridges out there. It can be hand loaded from powder puff to stout and covers a lot of ground, shot shells as well. A nice SWC powder puff load is great for dispatching pesky little critters around the place to introducing new shooters to big bore hand gunning. Stepping on up to mid range loads covers all the ground a standard 1911 can power wise. And, one can carefully work up stout hand loads that are more than enough for average whitetails out to 50 yards with ease. It's just that versatile!

And lastly, a lot of people talk about the moon clips being a pain. Therein lies the beauty of owning one. Always keep a few moon clips around whether you care for them or not. Should you find yourself without some loaded auto rim rounds, you can always grab up a box of 45 ACP and use them until you've resupplied your auto rim cartridges. Oh, and there isn't a faster wheel gun out there when it comes to an emergency reload that I am aware of.

At heart, I'm a .357 fanatic. Pretty much for all of the same reasons above. I would be extremely hard pressed if I had to pick between one of my 357's or my S&W Mountain Gun.

Best of luck on your decision.

Murphy
    Last edited by Murphy; 06-02-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 a colt and s&w 1917 and a Brazilian contract. they all shoot great. I have a pile of half moon clips. but I use full moon clips. for shoots where you need a quick reload the full moons work the best along with retrieving your brass. I have a 1000 rounds of at brass but have never used it.

as far as the .357 to the .45 I would stay with the .357. longer range hits just as hard and lighter to carry. I do have other cals. along with .41, .44-40, .38-40,.30 carbine and .44 mag . for a start.

but if I ever had to trim the heard the .357 would be the last to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to hear the comment from Murphy and bob208....I was starting to feel some itch for the larger wheel gun until their comments made me happy with my 357 stable again.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master
    read skeeter skelton he tried all the big bores but always end up back with the .357-38 spl.

Boolit Master
    You were given 500 cases to use. What more reason do you need to buy a gun to use them? I have bought guns for less reason than that and never regretted it.

Boolit Master
    It's on my wish list.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Besides the other's good points, the .45 AR can be magnum-ized, as well.
    The case walls are thicker at the base than .45 ACP. It can also use longer heavier bullets.
    "Handloader" has cover this aspect at least twice in the last fifty years.
    Remington has run brass every few years. Starline lists it as well. Your 500 may last a lifetime if you don't go magnum, though.

Boolit Master
    Life is short and you are only here a short time.... Then you are dead for a very long time.... If there is something you want very bad ( within reason), I say go for it...

I visit a lot of cemeteries... I haven't seen a tombstone yet that said, " I wish I had worked a lot more and done without the things that make me happy."

Boolit Master
    I do like the 45 ACP/AR revolvers. I have a pair of S&W 1917s, 1955 Target and a 625-8. I think my favorite is a commercial 1917 but I'm fond of fixed sight guns.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I modified my Ruger 45 Auto cylinder to take 45 A.R. Now it works for both, just like a New Service Colt or 1917 Smiff.

Boolit Master
    one of my fovorite revolvers is a S&W 1915 originally made in 455, re-cut to 45ACP moonclips, or auto-rim. shoot one. put a "wondersight" on it, and you will understand.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/wondersight/

If you ever shot a 1989 625 5”, you wouldn’t be asking the question. A friend of mine has one and it shoots wonderful. At 57 years old, I am for having enough gun to do the job and not needing any more. 45 ACP in a revolver can do a lot except shoot as flat and as loud as .357. I would guess most here down load .357 for most shooting.

Of course if you still don’t find a reason to go with that in demand brass ( R-P or Starline?), that would probably trade easily one for one with .357 brass.
    Last edited by smkummer; 06-04-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added more of my .02.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 625s and you couldn't ask for a nicer pistol cartridge combo to shoot. Have had many a person try them and were pleasantly surprised at how nice the 45 AR to shoot. Don't let the moon clip argument dissuade you it's the fastest reload I've ever seen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast