Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convince me I need a .45 AR wheelgun

Boolit Bub

Convince me I need a .45 AR wheelgun

I was just given a 500ct box of brand new Remington. 45 AR brass.

I dont have a gun chambered for it.

What are the advantages of owning one? What advantages would it have over. 357?

I own three. 357s with plans to get a .460 and .41 next

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Not having one is just as good of an excuse as ever!
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master
    Just think if you buy one its one less that can get into the hands of a bad guy. Just saying.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

I’ve been lusting after one as well , no one seems to have anything in that flavor in stock, anyone have real trigger time with one. What would you recommend?

Boolit Grand Master

I have revolvers for most of the classic revolver cartridges, .32 S&WLong/.32 H&R Magnum, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .44 Special/.44 Magnum, .45 ACP/.45 AR, .45 Colt, etc. Frankly, I thoroughly enjoy them all. I am a shooter and have thrown a LOT of lead in my time. Most all of it has been with my home cast bullets.

Having said that, right now my two favorite cartridges are the .38 Special and the .45ACP/.45AR. They are both a real pleasure to shoot, easy to load, extemely accurate, and economical of powder and lead. In addition to my time on the range, I have also used them extensively on small game with EXCELLENT results.

Further, absolutely excellent revolvers have been made for both. My 625-8 JM Special is about as good as it gets for the .45’s. After you get going with YOUR new .45 revolver, you’ll find that Starline makes superior brass for .45 Auto Rim.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

Boolit Bub
    I've looked at the 625's and they really dont tickle my fancy.

Seeing the model 1955 does, however. But the going rate for them is hard to swallow. Let alone trying to find one in kommiefornia.

Why buy one? Why not buy one! I sold my 1917 Colt to buy another gun and I have been wanting another one since. They don't kick like a mule, don't deafen the shooter and most love cast boolits. Long story made short...they are a hoot to shoot and have some pretty good punch as well. A 225 gr Keith boolit would be my choice but mine liked the Lyman boolit that pretty well duplicates the hardball 230 gr.
    Sure wish I had that gun back. If you have 500 pcs of brass, you're half way there.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

MOON CLIPs that’s why.

Also if it’s good enough for JM it’s good enough for you and me.

I vote get that 41 and swap the AR brass for 41 mag brass!

Boolit Master

whats need got to do with anything?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    whats need got to do with anything?
    True. How about rephrasing it this way..

If I have X amount of money

And both a 45 acp revolver and a .460 cost exactly the same..

Why would I choose .45 over. 460?

I pick up 45 acp brass at the range every time I go, never once found a 460. That would be reason enough for me, just get some full moon clips and you are good to go.

Boolit Master
    1955s are true classics and I love mine dearly. If you run across a sweet specimen I suggest you buy it. Expensive? Yes, but they'll probably just go up in value even so. You can consider it a wise investment that you can shoot and enjoy as it increases in price over the years.

I expect you'll find it's more accurate with AR brass than moon clips, but moon clips have their own benefits for some types of shooting, and you'll probably end up using both.

My 1955 is a lifetime keeper and not for sale, but the truth is I shoot my K-38s a lot more. I'm usually just shooting paper, and I don't need that big .45 slug just to go through a target. The .38s are just as accurate, and easier on powder and lead. Don't let practical matters influence your buying decision though. The N frame 45s are just too cool to pass up.

Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master

It’s not a need, it’s a want.

Honestly, sell the brass and put the funds into something more familiar. Components, a new mold, etc.

Boolit Master
    Why would I choose .45 over. 460?
    I guess it depends on what you want it to do. 460's are HUGE guns. I'd take a 45 Colt over a 460 for nearly any purpose short of hunting elephant. Never had a yearning for a 45 AR, although I do have some brass. AR is nice in that you don't need moonies.

Boolit Master
    IF you can afford and want it - that is need.

Boolit Master
    One super accurate cartridge I have three and they are great.

Super Moderator

It's better to want it and not have it, than need it and not have it....I've got one and prefer the AR cartridge over moon clips.

I finally just got a 4" heavy barrel 625-3 in .45 ACP and have wanted one for some time. I already shoot .45 ACP in my Colt government model IPSC match gun and have tons of brass and cast boolits for it (PC'd 200 lead SWC is the flavour of choice). With a revolver you have the option of loading light Gold Cup style target loads with 185 grain wadcutters (I have that mould too) up to 250 grain SWC's intended for the .45 Colt. I personally think that the full moon clips are just a bonus for easy loading and unloading with the ACP brass, but it sounds like you have a good supply of AR brass to work with. I'd buy a .45 ACP / AR revolver for now and look for your wanted .460 later, but that's just my personal opinion ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I say buy one and shoot it.
    I bought a 1917 in .45ACP years ago and shoot it exclusively with .45AutoRim brass.
    Great fun.
    I also shoot most every other revolver cartridge from .38Spl up through .44Mag and .45Colt.
    I probably shoot more .357Mag than any other revolver cartridge but I will not be without my .45AR, .41Mag, .44Spl and.45Colt revolvers.
    They all are useful and have their place in my handgunning pursuits. Plus they are fun to shoot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast