RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cast Boolits for 6.5 Creedmoor

Boolit Mold

Cast Boolits for 6.5 Creedmoor

Hello, I am new. I just bought a Ruger Precession Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and want to cast bullets for this rifle. I have cast bullets in 308 etc. so I know enough about casting. But, can I use any mold in 6.5 with dia. 265 to cast? I was looking at the RCBS 6.5-140-SILH. There are no 6.5 Creedmoor bullet casting blocks that I know of. Any help would be a great start.

NOE has one for it that was for the 6.5 Grendel originally.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1695

Boolit Mold
    OK Thanks. I am shooting with the cast bullet association and have been using my .308. With mixed results. The Ruger is shooting great with copper clad and I was just trying to ascertain if the rifle would also shoot well with cast bullets.

I would love to hear how this comes along.

Boolit Mold
    Will do. I am considering 17 grains of IMR4227. That would be 1630 fps and OAL of 2.700. I will try to get to the range early this week. I will be trying the RCBS Mold 6.5-140-SILH. It has the weight I want and I just got the mold today.
    Last edited by J Ellis; 10-17-2015 at 08:01 PM.

That NOE bullet design was taken from the mould that Veral did for my Grendel-Max and I have taken it to 2150fps but the alloy was too hard to hunt although it goes really well with 11gn Blue Dot at 1600fps and has killed a number of goats out to 150yds
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master

I would like to hear more on the use of Cast in the 6.5 CM. I have one coming and I would like to use Cast for shorter range shooting (100 - 200 yards).

Boolit Mold
    This question just came up for me today, too. I reload for a friend's RPR in 6.5CM, and he is considering coming with me in August to shoot some steel pipe.... I told him those SMK's would be a no-go!

Please post your results and any need to knows!

Boolit Master

NOE now has a mold specifically for Creedmore. I want it to try for the wifes .260 Rem. The dimensions look about right. That Grendel bullet is a bit off in dimensions in the .260 Rem but works great in my Grendel.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I talked with a guy the other day and we were discussing casting for .223. He mentioned that if I did, I should cast with pure linotype. He also said that the problem with the small calibre boolits was that the twist rate was very high -- like 1:8. He mentioned that the high twist rate on a soft boolit tears it apart.

I have no idea if this is true or not, just what I was told. I have only shot/cast with 30 calibre and above - mostly 44 and 45s...

With the 6.5, I would imagine that the rifle has a high twist rate... Anyone know if this is true? Or does GC + PC help the centripetal force "issue"?

Boolit Master

I am pushing cast in the 6.5 Grendle about 2050 fps. BHN around 10 to 12. No problems. It can cause leading edge leading. Looking down the barrel you will see leading on only one side of the lands. However thats not normally experienced untill trying to hit high velocity cast speeds.

I am a hunter and try to keep my bullets as soft as possible. PC effects my nose diameters too much for me to do it in rifle bullets. Gas checks protect the base from high pressure. Giving increased accuracy from undamaged bases. Torquing a bullet in half inside the barrel is a concept i am not familiar with. I assume if you over pressure the bullet past its yeild strength and strip the lands before that happens if that is even possible. Leading edge leading is caused by the lead yeild strength failing at that contact point. Its good indication to back off or use a tough alloy, not so much a harder.

I have heard of bullets over rpming and exploding outside the barrel. As i said earlier that only happens at jacketed speeds and byond from what i have heard.

My experince is 2050 fps gas checked and lubes 6.5 mm bullets group just fine. As well as my 6.8mm. With MOA accurracy. Bullet fit is hard in these small calibers due to mold availability. Fit is king. Harder bullets can mask some symptoms of poor fit but will hinder high velocity accuracys. While a good fitting bullet will surprise you on how accurate it can be with soft bullets.

I here good things of PC. Buts just another tool in my tool box. Doesnt perform for me how i envisioned when i tried it.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~