Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Roundball loads in tubular magazine?

Boolit Master

Roundball loads in tubular magazine?

I just roll crimped my first 12 guage roundball loads (converted target loads) and noticed the ball protruded slightly from the shell after the roll crimp was applied, which will result in it resting on the primer of another shell in the tube mag. Given the large diameter of the round ball, I don't see it causing an issue, but I thought I'd check with you guys before I loaded them up!

Boolit Master
    You could use a plastic over shot wad if your concerned. I also don't think it will be a problem.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Banned
    Hello SilverCreek, can you please post a picture or two of your loaded round, is the RB sticking out of the hull or it is recessed below and how deep? ?
    Better to be safe than sorry, post some pictures ! !
    We are making wild guesses.
    Thanks.
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 05-31-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think it would be a safety issue, but I doubt you have a proper crimp if some of the ball is protruding. I know my roll crimper wont, the nose of the slug hits the tool before the crimp seats on the edge of the slug or ball.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Hello SilverCreek, can you please post a picture or two of your loaded round, is the RB sticking out of the hull or it is recessed below and how deep? ?
    Thanks.
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    I would but I'm maxed out on pics and can't seem to delete any. The RB does stick up from the hull a bit. Probably due to the way I cut open the target shell. I just trimmed off the "bead" of the factory crimp and removed the top of the shell. Made it easier to get the shot cup out and trim it back to the equator of the RB. A longer hull or deeper seat of the RB would probably allow for a taller roll crimp. The balls are held securely.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    I find it hard to imagine the curve on a RB being able to put enough of a concentrated pressure "wack" on a shotgun primer to set it off.
    The centralized fining pin impact is nothing like the curvature shape of a RB. The whole primer would be crushed long before there would be enough impact to smash the cup into the anvil. That much pressure would seat the RB farther into the shell unless it is seated on a very stiff wad....
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    if a lead round nose 30-30 bullet resting on a large rifle primer doesn't risk setting anything off I don't see a round ball denting a 209 primer the lead is soft and more likely to flatten against it than strike the primer hard enough to set it off
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

If I was worried about a round going off in the magazine I would test to see if it is possible. Load a few dummy rounds rounds by dumping the powder and replacing it with an inert filler. Reassemble with your modified wad and RB and load the dummy rounds in the mag tube. Fired several of your live round then remove the dummies and see if you lit a primer.

BB