RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: .40-50 brass question

.40-50 brass question

Hi all -

I have been an avid reader of this forum for a number of years, but have posted very little. This forum was the best source of information I found when I decided to try my hand at BPCR silhouette shooting (casting boolits, loading BP cartridges, ...).

I shoot a .40-65 in iron matches and a .45-70 with scope - both highwalls. Also have a Shiloh .45-90 that I am still working up loads for to try at longer ranges. I have been kicking around the idea of a .40-50 in either Sharps Straight or bottleneck and have a couple of questions.

Have read that bottleneck cases are formed from .45-70 brass - but for reasons best left for another two-beer story, I have an ample supply of .40-65 brass that is too short for my chamber. Was wondering if .40-50 bottleneck brass can be formed from .40-65?

The .40-50 Sharps Straight IIRC can be formed from .30-40 Krag (or .303 British which comes out short). Krag brass now looks to be available from Hornady after a few years of no availability. Would Hornady brass be a good choice if I went this route?

Am sure I will have more questions if I decide to pursue this. Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers -

DP

Boolit Buddy
    The 40/50 Bottleneck is only 1 11/6" long so 40/65 will be plenty long enough to form into it. It will shorten somewhat when fireformed so leave it long to start.

303 Brit is long enough for the 40/50 Straight. The Rem Krag brass has more capacity. I don't know about the Hornady brass capacity. Hornady brass is quality stuff and should make good 40-/50 SS cases

My personal choice would be the 40/50 Straight case. I've got some experience with it.

Boolit Master

I've been working on a 40-50 for several months now. I got brass from Graf's and just ordered 150 cases the other day that they had on sale. I had to ream my brass for the .408 boolits after fire forming. The sides are too thick otherwise.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Man
    I built a target Winchester Model 71 lever rifle that is chambered for the 40-50 BN. It's got a big heavy 1 n 16 twist Badger barrel 30" long with a button magazine tube. I use MVA Soule tang sights. I've had it for about 25 years and its the most accurate lever rifle I own. I've won several long range (out to 500 yards) SASS gong matches with this rifle. While there maybe other equally good cartridges, I am completely sold on 40-50 BN. Its just the right size for using Black Powder or Smokeless. I use 45-70 cases to make my 40-65 brass, but when one of those cases has a problem, its converted to a 40-50 BN.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even considered a lever gun for this round - it should work well for lever gun silhouette. Somewhere in my safe is an unfired "Mirochester" 1886 in .45-70 - might make a great platform to try a caliber conversion.

I'll research this more and perhaps take on a new project!

Cheers -

DP