PBcastcoRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Target and Rifle

Boolit Master

Target and Rifle

This target group was shot with a single shot J Stevens rifle (picture inserted). The rifle is probably 80 or so years old. I forgot to mention it is a 22 WRF.
    I

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 05-30-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Very nicely done. I have an old Stevens "Springfield" 22 LR semi automatic that shoots similarly. They made nice rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Very nicely done. I have an old Stevens "Springfield" 22 LR semi automatic that shoots similarly. They made nice rifles.
    It has been been fun to shoot. I've had it for about 20 years. I had a little problem getting ammo for it at first but I finally found them in the Midway catalog on special for $3.95 a box of 50 Winchester. I bought 12 boxes. That was 10 years ago. I don't shoot it a lot because I'm not sure when I will find more. I had a Ranger 22 single shot when I was 13, my first rifle. It looked just like the one in the picture.

Boolit Master
    I just wonder if it would be safe to rechamber it to 22 mag. The measurements are the same for both except for the case length, I could still shoot WRF's in it.

Boolit Master
    Is it safe? Possibly.
    Is it Desirable? Not really; as the WRF Accuracy will suffer due to the long 'unguided' jump from the WRF case mouth to the WMR chamber Throat.

Just my Opinion from shooting a Winchester 1890 that is modified to shoot WRF and WMR interchangeably.

Chev. William

The 22 Magnum is much more powerful. I wouldn't do it.

Boolit Master

The 22 magnum is much more expensive when prices are normal. I was rooting around in my boxes of stuff and " discovered " two bricks of wildcat Winchester 22 LR I had stashed away. So I wouldn't do it. I might look at a conversion to a 22 necked 25ACP round. I know people have come up with some of these and I like the idea of being able to reload it .
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    It probably would not cost a lot to do it but there are no worries to leave it as is and I'm sure you guys are right. Thanks.

Banned

expensive, but i see plenty of 22wrf ammo offered around the internet (at 3x what you paid for it!).

Got a good shooter, there!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    expensive, but i see plenty of 22wrf ammo offered around the internet (at 3x what you paid for it!).
    I was just looking on the net also, prices were running in the $10.00 range for 50 rounds as you said and a lot of it was much higher like $20.00 to $30.00 for 50 rounds. One thing about it is that it's not 10 years ago.., and things do go up in price but $20. $30. dollors dah? Who would have ever guessed $10.00 for 50 rounds of 22 long rifle.

Boolit Master
    Winchester runs off a batch of .22 WRF every now and then, and CCI used to offer a very accurate hollow-point version. When I was socking the stuff away, the price was the same as .22WRF Magnum. Try to get some from the ammo dealers rather than the scalpers on Internet auction sites.

Is that a Stevens Buckhorn? I have a Deluxe version (forend tip painted black for that “custom” touch) in .25 Stevens. Looked for a companion in .22 WRF and actually found one, but the price was out of my league. Buckhorns in .22 Long Rifle are those most frequently found.

I wouldn’t rechamber that rifle either. Except for 1890 Winchester’s, rifles in .22 WRF are pretty rare.

Boolit Master

I missed the fine print there. I was thinking 22 LR which is not the case.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    This target group was shot with a single shot J Stevens rifle (picture inserted). The rifle is probably 80 or so years old. I forgot to mention it is a 22 WRF.
    I

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
    Going back and reread this.
    What is the Barrel Stamping text on your rifle?
    "J. Stevens A.&T. Co." would be before about 1915 or 1920, when the company was bought out.
    "J. Stevens/Savage Arms Co." would be after about 1920 or so.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-03-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Going back and reread this.
    What is the Barrel Stamping text on your rifle?
    "J. Stevens A.&T. Co." would be before about 1915 04 1920, when the company was bought out.
    "J. Stevens/Savage Arms Co." would be after about 1920 or so.

Chev. William
    It is stamped. J Stevens Arms Company, and the place of manufacture that is it.

Boolit Master

I have a "Springfield Meteor" that looks like that and shoots like it too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.