Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Anybody use a PW Metallic 2 ?

Anybody use a PW Metallic 2 ?

I have a chance to get one in good shape.
    I think parts can still be had?

Boolit Master

I have one and like it a lot, using it for special projects. My Q-M powder measure works really well with it.

Yes, parts are available as the company is still in business and still selling them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0186.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	221338
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    I use one that I got off of Fleabay. It needed parts which eventually were gotten form the manufacturer. Getting parts was not without confusion. I like the press.

Boolit Bub
    I have one absolutely love it.

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking to use it as Kevin does for short test loadings. It has the brass "table" so I guess its a little older version.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blindshooter View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'm looking to use it as Kevin does for short test loadings. It has the brass "table" so I guess its a little older version.
    Which in my estimation is the more desirable version. It's a keeper.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    I recall they have serial numbers. Mine also has the brass table and while I do not recall the serial number it is very low. My advice is to immediately begin to acquire the parts you need. The company exhibited considerable confusion when I did so it took a number of tries to get it right.

Well, its on the way. Less than $200 inc shipping. I know its missing a few of the primer feed parts that I may not even use anyway. I guess I could try to get all the missing stuff in case I want to sell it later.
    Thanks again for the replies.

Boolit Master

The primer feed is a bit odd. I got it to work, but wish the tube was a lot taller. I found it faster to use a hand primer with mine.

Boolit Master

I got one a few weeks ago but haven't had the time to do anything but mount it
    At one with the gun.

The press arrived today. Missing some of the primer parts but other than that in good shape. Maybe I'll get time to clean it up and check it out later. I'm such a sucker for hand loading gear, old and new.

Turns out its only missing the small primer stuff, including the seating punch. Large primers work great. This one must be older as it don't have the collet type primer release, instead it has a spring loaded stop pin that the shuttle pushes back releasing 3 primers into the shuttle. It was filthy and way out of adjustment but worked like a champ after cleaning and some trial and error setting it up. Couldn't find any instructions for this type of primer feed anywhere but have not called PW yet. I have some aluminum tubing I got to make primer pickup tubes for my 1050 and after taking off a few thousandths it fit perfect, cut it off just above the short blast shield. Also found that old Hornady Projector tubes fit perfect but they are like hens teeth so I guard the few I have left. I thought I read somewhere that Lyman tubes are the almost the same size as the old Projector tubes? I'll try to remember to get some pics and post them.

Boolit Buddy
    I actually have TWO of them...

So, I've been fooling with the Metallic II this past weekend. Got the primer feed working and did initial set up of some mixed up .45acp dies I had on hand and a Dillon PM. The only question I have for folks that use these things, do you use the PM over the primer seating stage? I don't foresee me setting off a primer while seating (never done it in 42 years of reloading) but I do know s**t happens. I also keep my presses clean (I know, you can't tell it from the way my shop looks) so there is not much chance of burning the building down if I set one off while seating under the PM. The 1050 I use seats the primer right next to the measure but both happen at the bottom of the cycle. In my old age I try to think a little more than back when I thought I was bullet proof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mett 2.jpg  

Thought I'd post another pic. Found some old Lyman primer tubes that work fine but the old Projector tubes fit and work great plus hold 100 primers. Made up a taller steel blast shield tube to use with the taller primer tubes. Also made a shorter operating handle with 8 ball grip, the throw on the original is a bit much for loading .45acp. I plan on using it to work up test loads for .45acp mainly but may see if I can get a small primer seating assy to do the same for .223 test loads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180712_160925.resized.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I bought mine in the early 80'. I use it for calibers I don't shoot a lot of. Once you get the hang of it, you can do about 100 rounds a hour.
    Leadmelter
    MI