RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Windage adjustments on 1898 Krag

Windage adjustments on 1898 Krag

Hello,

I have a new to me 1898 and just got back from the range with it. I researched the rear sight and it is a 1901 sight. My question is how do I make windage adjustments? There is a lever in front of the base and I assume you rotate it one way or the other. It is very tight, and I don't want to damage it by turning it the wrong way. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

The lever goes to the left to unlock, then the sight pivots. Move the rear of the sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. You might have to carefully drift the locking lever the first time, some fellows are downright hamfisted with the things.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Each line is a "point" and worth 4 Minutes of Angle +/-. Sometimes they are tight and do not want to move. Pretty coarse but better than nothing.

Wineman

The M1901 sight is "the odd-man out". The points on the windage scale are six minutes, not four.

On the M1898, 1902, 1903, and 1905 sights, the points are four minutes (the latter two on the M1903 rifle, not Krag).

One of the reasons I like the M1902 sight is that it is easier to make precise and repeatable windage changes with the screw-driven windage yoke.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Thanks for all of the information! I am still in the early phase of getting a good load set up for my krag. I need to get some 311284s and start developing a load.

These old Trapdoor and Krag sights are often found shut tight with old oil and grease that has hardnened. Run a little solvent into the joints and let it sit for a few minutes. Tap the sight a little with a brass or nylon punch and it will move. I then continue, until it moves freely by hand as designed. then a little fresh oil and you are in business.

Tap means just that. Tap does not mean "drive". With the Krag 1901 sight which as the lever lock, make certain it is in the unlock position before you start taping.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    The M1901 sight is "the odd-man out". The points on the windage scale are six minutes, not four.

On the M1898, 1902, 1903, and 1905 sights, the points are four minutes (the latter two on the M1903 rifle, not Krag).

One of the reasons I like the M1902 sight is that it is easier to make precise and repeatable windage changes with the screw-driven windage yoke.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Wouldn't that be different for the ladder lying down vs standing up? As you move the battle sight forward, the distance to the pivot would decrease, causing one to have to move the rear of the sight farther to effect the same change. I'll take your word for 6 minutes with the ladder up though Bob.

madsenshooter
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Bob,

AFAIK, that's with the ladder up. When you move the slide up the ramp for "battle sight", you also change the sight radius ... which will also affect the true value of the gradations.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Good information for me on an old thread.