Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 410 India made Ball tight fit

Boolit Master
    I assume these primers are corrosive.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Double post.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 06-08-2018 at 05:29 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I assume these primers are corrosive.
    Yes, and Berdan, which misfire or hangfire about 20% of the time unless smacked REALLY hard!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Anyone know where these cartridges might be obtained in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Anyone know where these cartridges might be obtained in Canada?
    I've never seen these for sale up here in Canada so I'm planning to load my own using fire-formed .303 British cases. The tough part was finding .410" round balls. All of the common black powder round ball moulds were undersized (.390" or .395") which would be a "rattling" good fit for sure. I eventually managed to find an RCBS double cavity .410" round ball mould since they produce them as a limited production item from time to time. I plan to duplicate the military loading using some .410" card and fibre wads similar to what they loaded in the arsenal .410 Musket ammo. To fire-form the straight cases from standard .303 British brass I annealed them about 1/2 way down the case, primed them with a standard large rifle primer, charged them with about 8.5 grains of fast shotgun powder (Nitro 100 Trap shotgun powder in my case), added a 1/4 sheet of toilet tissue, then poured in bulk yellow cornmeal up to the case mouth, then added another 1/4 sheet of toilet tissue to hold it all in place. I used a piece of wood dowel to press the toilet tissue wads in place. Point the muzzle straight up in the air (so that the cases don't form lop-sided) and fire-form them. My rifle (shotgun?) is another "back burner" project that I have to get back to again. I formed a bunch of cases for it, but I still haven't fired up the new mould yet to produce the .410" round balls to load in it ...

Last edited by Reverend Al; 06-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Just made an agreement on this forum to purchase an Indian converted Enfield in .410. Really interested in ballistics report.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the research. Now what powder is eq. to cordite?

There were several types of cordite with different burning rates. In the standard .303 ball cartridges that cordite was close to IMR3031 or IMR4064 in burning rate. I'm thinking that this cordite for the .410 Musket cartridges would probably be closer to IMR4227 or Hercules / Alliant 2400. I have both of those powders and was planning to try both of them with conservative starting loads and work up. Now that I have a Labradar chronograph I'll check the loads to see how they compare to the listed military specs. Another ongoing project ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Look forward to your report.

I use IMR4227 and the .410 launching wad in my replicas

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    There were several types of cordite with different burning rates. In the standard .303 ball cartridges that cordite was close to IMR3031 or IMR4064 in burning rate. I'm thinking that this cordite for the .410 Musket cartridges would probably be closer to IMR4227 or Hercules / Alliant 2400. I have both of those powders and was planning to try both of them with conservative starting loads and work up. Now that I have a Labradar chronograph I'll check the loads to see how they compare to the listed military specs. Another ongoing project ...

So you're using IMR4227 and a similar card and fibre wad stack as shown in the military spec sheets? That's what I was thinking too ...

I use this wad ...

https://www.claygame.co.uk/410-guala...hing-wad-pd350

Over IMR4227. Weirdly I found an undersized ball of .39 gave the best Acuracy. I shoot them from an Indian .410 Enfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    So you're using IMR4227 and a similar card and fibre wad stack as shown in the military spec sheets? That's what I was thinking too ...

This game looks fun, I think I will play too.

BBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180610_085101.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	221938

Quote Originally Posted by BigMrTong View Post
    I use this wad ...

https://www.claygame.co.uk/410-guala...hing-wad-pd350

Over IMR4227. Weirdly I found an undersized ball of .39 gave the best Acuracy. I shoot them from an Indian .410 Enfield.
    LOL ... it'll be just my luck that after all the time and trouble I went through to finally find a double cavity RCBS .410 RB mould that mine will shoot better with a .39 ball too! Interesting looking wad too. I might have a few somewhere on my bench that an avid .410 shotgun shooter gave me? It looks familiar so I'll have to go digging to see if I can find them.

I think it’s those specific launching wads that suite the smaller ball.

Boolit Master
    Ballistic Products calls it a slug carrier wad. 0721641 for a 25 pack of wads with balls, 0721641C for 500 pak of just wads.

that's the ones .. interesting to see they come with .380" balls now.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Ballistic Products calls it a slug carrier wad. 0721641 for a 25 pack of wads with balls, 0721641C for 500 pak of just wads.

Boolit Master
    MrBigTong, are you using the launching wad in the original brass cartridges or in modern?

Sorry BigMrTong.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 06-21-2018 at 08:49 AM.

I did fire a couple (6) yesterday, and the biggest gripe is you have to rotate the cartridge a couple of times to get them to go off. They must be made for a heavy striker. Accuracy..none worth mentioning. Will now attempt to remove the primers and fix for shotgun primers since MAGTECH is still back ordered. seem there was a fire at the factory in Brazil.

Boolit Master
    What drill bits do you use to convert to 209? I am trying to find an RCBS .410 shot shell sizing die. Then I can use my 22lrreloader.com kit to convert to small rifle primers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast