Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Marlin 995 questions

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Marlin 995 questions

Hey folks. I have a 1983 Marlin 995, basically the mag fed version of the 60. It was my first gun and shoots great, but I have some questions about it.

I am missing the front trigger guard screw and I think there is supposed to be a little sheet metal nut inside the stock that it screws into. Are these parts the same as on the model 60?

The comb on the original stock is too high for comfort. I don't want to modify the original stock which is till in good condition. Are there stocks from other Marlin models that will work? How about the 70? That one looks identical in pictures.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Buddy

I have read on another forum that the 60 and 795/995 share the same action and only differ in the magazine design. A poster on that forum said he has successfully mated a Model 60 Barreled Action to a 795 Stock by removing the Magazine Tube and also done the same thing the other way with a 795 Barreled Action in a Model 60 Stock. I haven't tried either, BTW
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 995 here on the forum a few years ago, which was missing the barrel band and needed some minor action work. I picked up most all the parts at Numrich/GPC. Looking specifically at the 995 model schematic and parts list, they did not list the band in stock, I looked at several other models of similar style and found the needed band, at the end of one of the parts listings (I don't recall which one). My stock had a few scratches thru the finish, so I started to strip the Mar-shield finish off of the walnut, as the final step of my redo of the rifle. After the 2nd or 3rd coat of mild furniture stripper, I had it hanging in my garage to dry. A neighbor came over, we were talking in the garage, he accidentally hit the drying stock with his head, it fell off of the hook it was on, landing butt first on the concrete floor........splitting cleanly into 2 pieces, right about in the center (weakened) section of the stock. I have yet to glue it back together, but it should glue up nicely right along the grain line. Too many other projects to finish have taken priority, but once its glued up and refinished, its reassembly and range time! I actually stumbled upon an original Marlin blued 15 rd mag for these clip fed models 2-3 weeks ago on GB, haven't seen one in a long time. I like the original Marlin rim fires, especially the walnut and blued ones, if they're in 22 Mag, then it's even better. Good luck with your project - Bill in MA