WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Buffalo Arms, formally Cabine Tree locking mold handles

Boolit Master

Buffalo Arms, formally Cabine Tree locking mold handles

I realize that these type of handles may be an acquired taste but I really like them, especially the Buffalo Arms version that is all aluminum. Once adjusted I never get a blooper from uneven handle pressure and since I have periphrial neuropathy I have trouble in this area. It makes consistent casting possible for me.

Anyway, the one thing I don't like about the mold is that the left side handle is just an aluminum rod. I think I'm going to buy a small wooden handle for a file or a chisel and fit it over the rod.

Does anyone have a similar feeling about this obscure mold handle? Do you like it like I do? Or do you hate it as overly complicated, heavy and does't really perform a useful function?
    [

Boolit Master

That handle set up is the reason I've never bought a set to try.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    When I get it all set up I'll post a pic and let you know if it works or not. Right now it doesn't handle as well as it should when opening it. It never gets hot but that thin rod is not much to grab on to.
    [

Vendor Sponsor

I'll take the normal handles! They work great for me.
    The CabineTree type are a solution to problems I don't have.

However, for anyone that it helps them cast and keeps them in the game, Perfect! I am glad there is a choice.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I can understand that. I think that bare metal rod really puts people off. I added a handle off a Lee mold to see how it would work and I can truly say it's a genuine improvement in everyway. I really don't undersatnd why they don't do that when they make them. After all, it's not like these things are cheap.

The addition of that simple wood handle makes these handles so much easier to work with.... pic to come.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    When casting I use the single wood handle as the grasping part of the mould and the metal rod is only used as a break open bar. I sharply jerk the metal bar and the mould breaks free. Once my mould is up to temps I never have to use a tapping stick, the bullets break free almost 100% of the time.
    I really like mine. I have adapted one for a Hoch top pour mould and it runs perfect.
    I don't set mine too tight. Just tight enough to achieve good lockup and seal.
    Last edited by kcajeel; 05-30-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: poor spelling

Boolit Master
    As I have aged, arthritis has grown, strength and endurance has diminished, so I definitely do not need anything heavier than what I already have.

Boolit Master
    I agree with the weight. I don't want anything heavier either. This is their aluminum version and it is very light. Add an aluminum mold and life is good. Here's a pic of the handle I added. It really does work better, at least for me. The fumbling is gone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moldhandles.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	221344
    [

Boolit Master
    I have to say those look like they would work well. Hard to believe they wouldn't have put a handle on that small bar. Adding the handle makes sense to me. after seeing them, I think I will look them up.

Boolit Master
    I swear, for me, they improved the handling of the mold 100%. One of the things that really makes it work is the light weight, compared to the steel version, which sounds ridiculous or worse, the original Cabine Tree model which weighed a ton. This version of the locking handle, is all aluminum and the LBT mold is light, even for an aluminum mold as it's on the small side.

I was fortunate to have a drill bit long enough to make it far enough down the handle to let the rod go deep enough.
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Buffalo Arms, formally Cabine Tree locking mold handles

Adding a wood handle to the rod isn’t necessary. It simply adds weight to an already very heavy set of handles. All handling is done w/ the one that has the wood on it already.

I don’t like the handles one bit for casting w/ hollow point molds. It’s really awkward to use it. I’ve also had galling issues w/ aluminum molds around the alignment pins. This is because there’s a good bit of play in the mold to handle fit. If I don’t place the mold on a flat surface before closing, the pins beat up the mold. But this to the expected since steel is harder.

I stopped using the pair I have, original CaineTree, because of the issues I mentioned. I didn’t see any consistency improvements w/ them. But I can see how they could be an advantage for people w/ arthritis. Assuming you can deal w/ the added weight.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 05-31-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just drill a piece of 3/4 oak dowel rod 4" long the size of the rod and glue it on with jb weld epoxy. I round the ends for a comfortable feel also. Mine are the old style cabine trees and the reach to unclip them was rough for me. A little tru oil or finish and they are good to go

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Adding a wood handle to the rod isn’t necessary. It simply adds weight to an already very heavy set of handles. All handling is done w/ the one that has the wood on it already.

I don’t like the handles one bit for casting w/ hollow point molds. It’s really awkward to use it. I’ve also had galling issues w/ aluminum molds around the alignment pins. This is because there’s a good bit of play in the mold to handle fit. If I don’t place the mold on a flat surface before closing, the pins beat up the mold. But this to the expected since steel is harder.

I stopped using the pair I have, original CaineTree, because of the issues I mentioned. I didn’t see any consistency improvements w/ them. But I can see how they could be an advantage for people w/ arthritis. Assuming you can deal w/ the added weight.
    As I originally stated. I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands, the locking handles help me.
    There are 3 versions of these handles.
    1) Original Cabine Tree handles. They are huge and can take 4 and 6 cavity molds, made out of steel and weigh a ton.
    2) Buffalo Arms steel handles, smaller, much lighter. Two cavity molds only.
    3) Buffalo Arms all aluminum handles, lighter still, about the same weight as normal steel handles or much less than say giant Lyman handles.

The addition of the small, light wood handle added very little weight and has allowed me to deal with handle set much more easily and produce very consistent bullets. I just couldn't deal with that bare rod any more.
    [