WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Auo-Drum Replacement

Boolit Master

Auo-Drum Replacement

My Lee Auto-Drum leaks with fine powder. Too much for my taste. Does anyone know of another brand that would fit? Even if I had to flip the leaver that would be fine, it just has to screw into the lee expander die and no leak.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of another manufacturers powder measure that will fit in the Lee expander die. You might be able to get someone to make you an adapter to make it work. I use my RCBS Uniflow screwed straight to the turret on my Lyman T MagII.

I had the Lee Auto Disk and it leaked also.

My Drum was leaking but has finally stopped. Why? Don't know. Magic?

I also have three Lee Disk measures that I use with my Pro1000 because they do not leak. Because I can use them w/o leaking on the Pro1000 is why I use them. As everyone should know by now the primer area of the Pro1000 must be kept clean in order for it to work smoothly. I am loading with both AA#5 and Ramshot Silhouette. Both of which are very fine grained powders. Finding no loose powder on either the top of the press or around the top of the bench when I'm finished.

Boolit Master
    Hi triple S,
    How much have you used it ?
    My auto drum leaked at first with very fine powers - 296, WC820. Not bad, but.....
    I made sure the drum was clean, tightened it to the point of almost not returning to up - this helped.
    Over a few hundred cycles it seems the drum "seated" in it's recess (smoothed out casting flaws ?). Hasn't leaked since.

Hand polishing the mating surface on the drum might do it, couple hundred no powder cycles should help.

My take is Lee products are 90% engineered and not 100 % perfectly made - that's why they don't cost as much as other makers "perfect" products.

I'm willing to tinker with Lee products because of the price point (and I'm a tinkerer anyway).
    Never had a Lee product not work well and a long time with a little TLC.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master

Auo-Drum Replacement

What do your drums look like? If they’re shiny then they’re ones that can leak. Lee did not machine them to a consistent finish. I can’t find the info about this. I ended up buying three sets of extra drums before they admitted they weren’t as exact as they should be. I tried drum after drum until I found one that didn’t leak w/ H110.

Found the thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...m-from-leaking
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 06-01-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    I don't know of another manufacturers powder measure that will fit in the Lee expander die. You might be able to get someone to make you an adapter to make it work. I use my RCBS Uniflow screwed straight to the turret on my Lyman T MagII.

I had the Lee Auto Disk and it leaked also.
    You can eliminate the leakage on an Auto Disk with a little filing, I removed the hopper and filed the 2 standoffs, using a mill bastard 2nd cut file, until they were flush with the disk.

This puts more pressure on the seal between the hopper and disc.
    File the shiny places on the frame, until they are flush with the disc, seen in this pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMFiledS.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	221450
    You can see the surface on the disc where the seal drags now
    no more leaks (for me)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    What do your drums look like? If they’re shiny then they’re ones that can leak. Lee did not machine them to a consistent finish. I can’t find the info about this. I ended up buying three sets of extra drums before they admitted they weren’t as exact as they should be. I tried drum after drum until I found one that didn’t leak w/ H110.

Found the thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...m-from-leaking
    Yup, got a shiny one.