Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 vs. .50

IME, the only advantages of a .50 over a .45 are that commercial .50cal ML boolits are more widely available than .45's; and most commercial frontstuffers made today are .50's (which means that a .45 my not be available in a particular gun desired).

While I'd use a .54 on much larger game than I have available locally (New England), I long ago found that a .45 can take game here just as handily as the various .50's I've used in past years.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Have you given any thought to a swamped barrel?
    I have, actually. Inletting would be more challenging and I'm not sure how to start, but it is on the table. There will be no need to hurry.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    I've hunted with muzzle loaders for around fifty years now. I can tell you for a certainty that the 45cal with a round ball is very much on the light side for whitetails. A round ball in 45cal if about 127 grains. A round ball in 50cal is 175 grains. I've killed deer with the 45cal and after shooting quite a few with the 45cal and then using the 50cal there is no comparison in penetration and stopping power. I hate to say it, but I lost a couple with the 45cal and that's why I went to the 50cal. Yes, you can kill a deer with a 40g .22lr, but that doesn't make the 45cal a suitable caliber for deer. It just doesn't have enough power for reliable penetration on a deer.

Boolit Master
    That is why you have to get close enough for a heart shot.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I've hunted with muzzle loaders for around fifty years now. I can tell you for a certainty that the 45cal with a round ball is very much on the light side for whitetails. A round ball in 45cal if about 127 grains. A round ball in 50cal is 175 grains. I've killed deer with the 45cal and after shooting quite a few with the 45cal and then using the 50cal there is no comparison in penetration and stopping power. I hate to say it, but I lost a couple with the 45cal and that's why I went to the 50cal. Yes, you can kill a deer with a 40g .22lr, but that doesn't make the 45cal a suitable caliber for deer. It just doesn't have enough power for reliable penetration on a deer.
    It is a 45cal hole and blows thru lungs /ribs ect , you just shoot for the far shoulder ! If it works for my stik bow ,a 45 is overkill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Have you given any thought to a swamped barrel?
    Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    I have, actually. Inletting would be more challenging and I'm not sure how to start, but it is on the table. There will be no need to hurry.
    Waksupi may be able to give you a few helpful tips if you contact him with a pm.

Boolit Master
    either is fine I favor 50s because I have a .490 6 cavity lee mold from track of the wolf what ever you get the track of the wolf 6 cavity mold is mighty nice for feeding them.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    It is a 45cal hole and blows thru lungs /ribs ect , you just shoot for the far shoulder ! If it works for my stik bow ,a 45 is overkill
    I'm not impressed with your bow kill comparing it to a gun kill. I got my 81st deer with the bow last year and I have a pretty fair idea how an arrow kills and how a gun kills.

Boolit Master
    More recently, I am getting hooked on conicals for .45. I been loading 45acp pistol boolits in my 45 ML. Right now I got them to stabilize in 1:66 twist, but just barely.
    My next rifle will be a 45 with a fast twist aka 45-70 barrel blank.
    That will accept 45 pistol boolits all day long, shoot them well, and launches 230gr @ 1400fps.
    That equate to 44magnum power, and it is still in a rifle.
    80gr of FFg with a 45acp boolit,,,,,yeah buddy !!!!!

Boolit Buddy

I say get BOTH. that's what I did. Love Shooting all of my MLs
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12