Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Long/Long Rifle CF from .25ACP Trials.

Boolit Master
    Time for a September Update:
    1. Whether here is still Uncomfortable for Outside work so nothing done in my patio 'reloading shop'.
    2. Ordered and Received five PT&G Blank die bodies pilot drilled ~3/8" Through.
    3. I found out my friend with the Special Effects Shop s taking his first vacation in a decade and is driving up to Vancouver,WA to visit relatives And friends. So I will not be able to use his lathe for about three weeks.
    4. I received back my modified Ruger .32 Single Six along wiht two modified Cylinders; one in .32 Colt Long and the other the Modified original .32 H&R magnum cylinder. no to get a time at the local range to test them.
    5. I turned in my Customized Ruger .25ACP Single Eight to my gunsmith for final fitting of four new cylinders, all nontapered chambers for .25ACP, .25ALR, .25Mag., and .25ALS cartridges.
    6. I purchased off Ebay a Ruger MKI "Takeoff" Barrel and a Ruger MKI 'Broken' Bolt assembly. The barrel is in Good condition and will give me a Model to measure for machining a .25 Caliber Barrel blank to fit the Pistol. The bolt has a broken firing pin retainer pin and recoil spring assembly, both should be easy replaceable items.
    7. I have ordered a pair of 3/4" ID Drill Bushings to us as ring gauges in measuring the bolt firing pin channel depths, which varies over the channel length. They should arrive this week, shipped from Illinois.
    8. Last Saturday I tripped leaving a Restaurant over a parking stop block and fell forward injuring myself. sore Left chest, abrasions on both forearms and right Knee, cut lip, bloody nose And bent glasses. All Are slowly healing as is normal for my time in Life; i take two 'tynol'(sp?) caplets before bed to get some sleep without 'twinges' interrupting it.
    9. I have been thinking on my Ruger MKII Pistol about possibilities of converting it to CF and eventually Converting it to .25ACP, which is more difficult.
    The CF conversion may be relatively easy as it only takes a modified Bolt and Firing Pin to be able to cycle .22 Ladybug-Repeater cartridges.
    Magazine modifications would be needed to change to .221 Atkins Cartridges.
    A completely new magazine would be needed along wiht a Barrel to change to .25ACP cartridges.

What are your, the readers, thoughts on this possible project?

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-10-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Time for a October Update:
    1. Whether here is still Uncomfortable for Outside work so nothing done in my patio 'reloading shop'.

October Brought Cool windy and Rain!

2. Ordered and Received five PT&G Blank die bodies pilot drilled ~3/8" Through.
    3. I found out my friend with the Special Effects Shop s taking his first vacation in a decade and is driving up to Vancouver,WA to visit relatives And friends. So I will not be able to use his lathe for about three weeks.

he is back now and I got some tiem Sunday on his Lathe. Partial Success and a setback: HSS cutoff tools don't cut Drill blanks, I need To find and buy Carbide Replaceable Tip cutoff tool to fit my friends Lathe.

4. I received back my modified Ruger .32 Single Six along with two modified Cylinders; one in .32 Colt Long and the other the Modified original .32 H&R magnum cylinder. Now to get a time at the local range to test them.

5. I turned in my Customized Ruger .25ACP Single Eight to my gunsmith for final fitting of four new cylinders, all nontapered chambers for .25ACP, .25ALS, .25Mag., and .25ALS cartridges.

My gunsmith has been ou tof th eshop working on a Location Movie Project.

6. I purchased off Ebay a Ruger MKI "Takeoff" Barrel and a Ruger MKI 'Broken' Bolt assembly. The barrel is in Good condition and will give me a Model to measure for machining a .25 Caliber Barrel blank to fit the Pistol. The bolt has a broken firing pin retainer pin and recoil spring assembly, both should be easy replaceable items.
    7. I have ordered a pair of 3/4" ID Drill Bushings to us as ring gauges in measuring the bolt firing pin channel depths, which varies over the channel length. They should arrive this week, shipped from Illinois.

ReceivedAnd are Useful as Intended.

8. Last Saturday I tripped leaving a Restaurant over a parking stop block and fell forward injuring myself. sore Left chest, abrasions on both forearms and right Knee, cut lip, bloody nose And bent glasses. All Are slowly healing as is normal for my time in Life; i take two 'tynol'(sp?) caplets before bed to get some sleep without 'twinges' interrupting it.

Healing in Progress, no longer using Tynol for sleeping and abrasion scabs hav enow fallen off. the Left chest is still 'uncomfortable if Stressed.

9. I have been thinking on my Ruger MKII Pistol about possibilities of converting it to CF and eventually Converting it to .25ACP, which is more difficult.
    The CF conversion may be relatively easy as it only takes a modified Bolt and Firing Pin to be able to cycle .22 Ladybug-Repeater cartridges.

Still Looks feasible bu tnot started yet. Researching shops and methods still

Magazine modifications would be needed to change to .221 Atkins Cartridges.

A completely new magazine would be needed along with a Custom Machined Barrel to change to .25ACP cartridges.

What are your, the readers, thoughts on this possible project?

Chev. William
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    There was Time Available on my friends Special Effects Shop Lathe Last Sunday so I started machining the first of two mandrels I think I need to hold reformed Cases for turning the displaced metal from above the rims and to re-machine the Extractor Clearance cuts for further diameter reduction below .250"-.246" diameter.

The first one, to fit inside the reduced Diameter case and push against the Web, went slowly with the Lathe 'complaining' if I tried to take more than a .010" diameter reduction on the .250" diameter Drill Blank I chose to use. This is using a Replaceable Carbide tip turning tool so I guess the Drill Blank may be pre-hardeed (DUH! HSS is NOT easily Machined!) as purchased.

Then I started in on a .375" diameter Drill Blank to make the mandrel to fit the Primer pocket and drive the Case in machining. Again the lathe 'Complained' but I got a bout one inch turned to .312" for a chucking end and tried to part off The beginning mandrel using a HSS Cutoff tool. It Did Not Work! The HSS tool was 'machined' by The Drill Blank, rounding off the cutting edge and 'polishing' the side of The Drill Blank.

It seems I will need a Carbide Tip Cutoff Tool to do the Job and none was available in my friends' shop at the time.

Over the intervening week my friend did purchased a Replaceable Carbide Tip Cutoff Tool so this Sunday I will be going back to try to complete the second Mandrel. I am Very Lucky to have such a Friend.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-10-2018 at 12:54 AM. Reason: corrected and added info.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the updates! Still hoping to tackle one of these conversions soon...

Chev William, when machining hardened parts (like wrist pins and axles for instance), I heat em up to non-magnetic and then cool them down. Voila, they machine like a breeze. Obviously have to re-harden and re-temper after that.

If you machine them in that hardened state, watch for those super-hot chips that like to fly off. They find their way down shirts, and into shoes...

Boolit Master
    Chev,

To chuck on the neck end of brass, I simply make a mandrel that is a slip fit into the case. Because of the typical brass case wall profile, the portion of the mandrel extending in close to the base needs to be tapered down. It can be soft steel, brass or even aluminum. It needs to be just long enough that it is easy to pull out if you need to.

You just insert mandrel, chuck the brass and machine the rim end as desired.

The "spring back" on the brass works like a charm. Pull out should be "easy" if you have the right OD.

I have done this on several of my brass conversion efforts.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoastBigBore View Post
    Thanks for the updates! Still hoping to tackle one of these conversions soon...

Chev William, when machining hardened parts (like wrist pins and axles for instance), I heat em up to non-magnetic and then cool them down. Voila, they machine like a breeze. Obviously have to re-harden and re-temper after that.

If you machine them in that hardened state, watch for those super-hot chips that like to fly off. They find their way down shirts, and into shoes...
    Annealing like that does not work on HSS. It can only be cut efficiently with ceramic or diamond tools.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Annealing like that does not work on HSS. It can only be cut efficiently with ceramic or diamond tools.
    Ahhh my mistake, I missed that the Drill Blank itself is HSS.

Boolit Master
    OOPS. My choice of Materal Stock for my Mandrels neglected the PROBLEMS of machining HSS to final desired form.

This means acquisition of new Stock to machine my second mandrel from.

Back to the reference books.

Chev. William

Boolit Master

Water hardening drill rod would be a very good choice. It is supplied annealed and is said to wear better/less than most any other annealed steel. It can be hardened if desired. If you use oil to quench it, it won't fully harden and annealing after hardening is not required fon non-shock loading.

Boolit Master
    Finally got the Two Mandrels machined to fit my cases.
    Now to wait for time on the Lathe to try them out on trimming case rims and extractor clearance cuts.
    My friend is working on a Production this weekend so i will wait.

Also this week, I mailed my Ruger MKII receiver-barrel, Bolt, Barrel Blank Remanent, and Finish Chamber reamer to John Taylor of Taylor machine for him to turn and fit a new .25ACP/6,35 Browning 8 inch long barrel.

He will also give me an estimate on conversion of the Bolt from RF to CF and fit it to the .25ACP rim.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-10-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    December 28th Update:
    Little work on my dies this month because of another Project and some 'outside' things getting in the way.

I have a stored pressure type low flow toilet.
    The manufacturer Sent out a recall notice on the pressure tank, and mine is included.
    The manufacturer said turn off the Water pressure to the tank because if it Fails it can shatter The ceramic outer 'tank' and send shrapnel through the walls.
    The manufacturer shipped a replacement pressure tank with an expected delivery date of Jan.3rd.
    The manufacturer is paying for a Technician to install the New tank and he is scheduled here Jan.4th in the morning.

In the Meantime I am 'holding' a flush about once a day, or once every other day, depending on the "Use" involved.

The other Project is my .25ACP conversion to a Ruger Standard Auto MKII Pistol.
    I now have a functioning .25ACP "Auto Eject Single Shot Pistol" with adjustable rear sight and an ~8" long tapered Barrel. I still Need to make the .25ACP magazine to feed it.

Dec. 27th I took a "Range day" to take it and some other firearms to a local Outdoor commercial Range to do some testing for fun and relaxation.
    - The converted .25ACP Pistol functioned well in Single Shot mode.
    - The Bolt recoil seemed about the same as my .22LR Ruger Standard Auto Pre-mark Pistol with its ~6" bull Barrel.
    - Muzzle rise appeared to be about the same between the two pistols.
    - Accuracy at 50 yards "Standing Off Hand" is better than I can hold and is about the same between the two pistols.
    - I did not try either with a Rest as the rang was too Crowded to get a rifle bench to set up on.
    - Both seem to feel about the same amount of 'muzzle heavy' without a Magazine in them.

Other Observations include the .25ACP pistol's .125" wide rear notch is slower to reacquire the target than the Narrower notch on the .22LR pistol; I will consider changing the rear 'blade' at a later date.

The Sights on an 1873 Colt D.A.38 Lighting pistol seem to reacquire the target equally quickly to the .22LR pistol; that is a Blade and a wide groove.

The Sights on an Iver. Johnston Top Break .32S&W Five shot are slower to reacquire the target than either Pistol; a blade front and two narrow blades with a narrow notch between them.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-21-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    March 2019 Update:
    The Converted and Re-barreled Ruger .25ACP Standard Auto MKII Pistol now has about 200ea .25ACP factory Cartridges through it in 'Single Shot Auto Eject' mode and is throwing the empties into some 'nether region' that I have been unable to Locate at my Local Commercial Outdoor Range; so My Brass is 100 percent Lost so far.

I bought a 500ea Lot of Once Fired .25ACP brass on-line and upon receiving it, poured the cases into a vibratory Tumbler to remove range dirt and 'Range Tarnish' before further handling.
    The Overnight tumble was successful so I separated The cases from my Tumbler Medium and Stored Them in a "Fat50" ammo Can until the weather improves enough for further out door work.

The weather here has been Sprinkles and Rainy here for the Last few days as is also today, and perhaps this weekend.

My friends' Special Effects Shop has been too busy of late to allow me use of his machine tools; which is Good for him but Not for my Projects requiring Machining time.

March is both Taxes and Dog License Time and so far this month the Dogs have cost my budget over $550 in Grooming and Vet bills; with more to go.
    Sigh, it is going to be a "Lean month or two' for me.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-13-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    For those who do not wish to 'Roll their Own' cases "RCC" now has .22LR Center Fire Turned cases available at $3.75ea in minimum order of 50 cases.
    These are .226" body diameter and take heeled bullets.
    30 grain Heeled Bullets are Available from North American Arms; their 'CBB++' is a Lot of 250 bullets.
    The links are listed in two other Threads on this Forum.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Mid 2019 update:
    Today I bought two boxes of Hornady 40 grain .224" diameter Spire point bullets to use in my .221 Atkins experiments (.25ACP case swaged down to .250" outside diameter).

I still do not have a firearm converted to handle the .221 Atkins yet, still watching for an inexpensive .22 Cal pistol to buy that is within my Budget AND legal to buy in California.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-30-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12