MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Remington Model 30 express & NIB Christy peep sight

Boolit Master

Remington Model 30 express & NIB Christy peep sight

Model 30 Remington Express chamber stamped Springfield 30 Cal 1906 with a new in box Christy Gun Works peep sight
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

The Remington 30S was a very fine pre-war sporting rifle build on a commercial version of the 1917 action. They came fitted with a Lyman 48 receiver sight and were not drilled and tapped for a scope.

The rifle in the picture has had the stock sanded until there was no checkering left and a recoil pad installed. The original had a steel butt plate. Of course it has been drilled and tapped for a scope. The metal has also been reblued.

Despite the box, the rear sight seems to be a Redfield 102. It would take pics from a different angle to be 100% certain. I can tell you the sight does not fit the rifle in the picture, as it was made to fit a rifle with a flat sided receiver.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Those are great guns. I have a Lyman 48 sighted one in .30 Remington and a Weaver scope sighted one in .25 Remington. Both great shooters.

Not common, as Remington was in a sense competing with its own discounted product. While they were on the market, the Government was dumping millions of 1917 Enfields for a few bucks each.

You can get Timney triggers (made for the 1917 Enfield), and spare ejectors are available as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The Remington 30S was a very fine pre-war sporting rifle build on a commercial version of the 1917 action. They came fitted with a Lyman 48 receiver sight and were not drilled and tapped for a scope.

The rifle in the picture has had the stock sanded until there was no checkering left and a recoil pad installed. The original had a steel butt plate. Of course it has been drilled and tapped for a scope. The metal has also been reblued.

Despite the box, the rear sight seems to be a Redfield 102. It would take pics from a different angle to be 100% certain. I can tell you the sight does not fit the rifle in the picture, as it was made to fit a rifle with a flat sided receiver.
    I paid 300 bucks out the door for the rifle, it has a pristine bore and has not been reblued I know the stock had been sanded down and a pad installed and contrary to your opinion the sight does fit the rifle.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master

NICE!

My sporterized 17 is a real shooter despite being a bit long on the headspace. Commercial production. . .you've probably got a much tighter chamber. Supported by the big fat barrel shank, you ought to do very well with that.

Once you get load development done, I'd ditch the scope, mount the peep, and run it with stripper clips. Much more fun than "just another deer rifle". FYI, NOE's clone of the 311299 GC is very much likely to be your very good friend in that gun.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    The peep sight is a Christy Gunworks Model EN30 designed specifically for the Remington Model 30 and Model 1914/1917 Enfield. The sight is mounted without modification to the gun. The ejector spring rest plug is removed and replaced with the sight base, which is locked in place with a set screw.

Boolit Master
    Very nice, I would have loved to find that deal.