Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple alloy for 1800-2000 30-30 loads

Boolit Master

Simple alloy for 1800-2000 30-30 loads

I'm having a good time casting and shooting my trusty 30-30 with a 50-50 mix + tin with a light charge of unique , but if I try to push it my groups blow out , so I believe that I'm having a alloy failure . I'm trying to keep it simple 'I hate math ' would a straight coww + tin air cooled hold up to 1600- 1800 fps or so without making it complicate ? I have a tendency to over complicate things and I'm trying to avoid it .

Boolit Master
    Why not go to a slower burn rate powder? 2400 or Re 7 will allow velocities to increase without exceeding the strength of your alloy.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

I get a hair over 1900 FPS with my wheel weight alloy powered coated boolits and H4895.

Boolit Master

Air cooled CWW + 1%Sn. Checked and TAC lubed. IMR 4895 powder.

I'm running just under 1790 fps from my Mosin Nagant 91/30. No leading, 3.5" 100yds groups, iron sights.

I think a powder slower than Unique would help you.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a can of aliant # 7 , and 2400 for a different project I just haven't got to it yet . I just returned from trying out a different cast Boolit and the same powder charge seams to work best 8 gr unique . The first Boolit I have been working on is a noe 311-180 fp gc and a simple ladder test showed 8 gr of unique to hold the group's together best . So today I tried the 311-165 rf plain base same test showed the 8 gr charge again as the charge increases so does the size of my groups . Ill give the different powders a shot before changing my alloy from a 50/50 mix to straight coww .
    Last edited by toallmy; 05-28-2018 at 02:15 PM.

H4895 or IMR 4895 works well too.

Boolit Master
    I picked my trusty old 30-30 for this project because it's been neglected for over 20 years and it's a prime candidate for cast boolits . It's a old Sears model 54 top eject but the side mount offset scope is not the best rig to get a good look through .

Boolit Master

You could be having a pressure failure of the lead. Change the powder to slower one. Pistol powders are great for light recoil. Red Dot makes my 270 Win feel and sound like 22 LR. Same Bullet and alloy if i want more velocity i need a slower powder. Reloader 7 will put me in 2050 FPS range. I do the same thing with my 30-30. I have Red Dot loads for fun light target work. Working on Alliant 2400 100 yard target loads and then for hunting i use Reloader 7 loads. I have slower powders still left to experiment with but i have to get loads developed for all the guns before i move to different powders to see what they will do. 38K PSI of Red Dot will have a drastically different velocity that equal PSI of a slower powder.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I've been happy in that velocity range with ac coww plus a couple percent tin. This is with 150 to 200 grain boolits in a 3006 using 2400 and 4198.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

I used IMR 4895 with a gc 173 gr. In 30 WCF

Boolit Master

I use the Lee 150 grainer with a gas check. Alloy is either range scraps or 50/50 lead to coww. Red dot, 2400, or reloader 7.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Yes is the answer to your question, straight cww plus a little tin is a great alloy for gas checked boolits in the 1600/1800 range. I have never had good luck with 50/50 plus 2% tin, depending on the make up of your ww the alloy calc will be about 1.5% antimony and 1.5% tin. I have found on my cww just adding 1% tin does good on gas checked 30 cals. and all plain base pistol boolits that I shoot. I do like the 50/50 plus 2 on 38 special wadcutter with slow target velocities, as well as 32 long. I tried the 50/50 plus for hunting loads in 30-30 and 30-06 and could never get the accuracy I wanted. I am trying 20:1 now for the hunting boolits. I have them cast just not loaded or tested yet.
    Hope my experiences will help, sometimes the simple solutions work out the best.
    Tony

Moderator Emeritus

It's always good to review this page once in a while.
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

about half way down the page is a chart titled, "Approximate "Maximum" Chamber Pressure For Lead Alloys (PSI)"
    included in that chart is:
    Wheel weights / clip-on: 25,000 - Non-Magnum handgun loads, Rifles to 1,900 fps

When I am considering specific alloys for a certain load, I like to know the pressure that load is putting on the alloy, rather than the speed. Now I don't have a pressure gauge setup or anything, but Lyman and some others publish pressures of starting loads and max loads for most of their data, which can be used to give you a ballpark idea of the pressure for your load.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

For 1800 - 2000+ fps COWW + 2% tin, AC or WQd will do fine. I also suggest 4895.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

My limited experience has shown very good accuracy with straight AC COWW and IMR 3031 or H4895 in 30-30 and .358 bolt action rifles. I've recently cast lots of 50/50 COWW/pb boolits but i've not tried them at 100 yds yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Ramshot tac is worth a try .your alloy should be OK ,I use the same alloy in my 308 ,is the boolit the right size for the bore?2400 works for most lead boolits .

Boolit Master
    I am going to try working up a ladder test with 2400 and some boolits I have cast with my 50/50 mix . Then Ill empty the pot and cast a few out of strait coww a.c. to try after I let them set for a week or so just to see if it helps hold the group's together going a little faster with a harder alloy . You gentlemen may already know the answer , but don't tell me until I try it . I like to do things the hard way over and over until it finally sinks in . All input is appreciated , and thanks for the link JonB I find it by accident but can never find it when I'm looking for it .

I run straight wheel weight alloy with the 150 grain lee mould and a decent charge of 748. I run a gas check of course, and never had any leading.

Boolit Master
    I'm not having a problem with leading , it's the only way I can get a decent group is if I keep them around 12-1300 fps . I'm hoping with a harder alloy I can go a little faster and keep a decent group .
    Last edited by toallmy; 05-29-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I'm not having a problem with leading , it's the only way I can get a decent group is if I keep them around 12-1300 fps . I'm hoping with a harder alloy I can go a little faster and keep a decent group .
    Post #14
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast