MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: 44 Mag. 45LC

Boolit Man

44 Mag. 45LC

Will a heavy Powder Coated 44 Mag bullet work in a 45LC accurately?

Boolit Master

NO! A 44 is .429, 45 Colt is +/- .454
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    No. Even if you were to coat it a few times to build up the difference in diameter, and if the coating would hold up to the blast and not blow out in front of the boolit, there's no way to get the boolit to be centered in the coating as you apply multiple coats. You would have an "out of balance" projectile that would behave as such if you were to get it to fire.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys!! Still a newbie at casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, way to much to build up

Boolit Master
    Not in the least, as has been said. Howsomeever! If you were to paper patch them instead of powder coating them you MIGHT be able to accurately bump-up that far, but I doubt it.

Also we have made some assumptions here. Your 44 mag mold is dropping at .429. I have seen 44 mag molds drop from a .427, all the way up to a .431. I am sure there are out of spec molds that probably drop larger and need to be sized down. So we are talking about out of spec molds on some of those.

We made the assumption that your 45 long colt was a .454. I have see 45 long colts go from .450 on a really really cheap knockoff "cowboy" pistol that cabelas use to sell (only ever saw one that was in this diameter), all the way up to a .457 on an OLD Ruger Blackhawk (again a one off). Most "modern" 45 long colts now are chambered for .452. I have no idea why. Older ones I have seen typically were .454-.455. So we are talking about out of spec guns on some of those.

Now confusion can also be set in when we start talking about 44 black powder pistols and you read.... TADA!!!! Most 44 black powder guns shoot.... wait for it... A roundball in .451 to .454 depending on the gun! These roundballs in a 45 long colt case can make an excellent plinking round btw.

So short answer is no. Long answer is probably not. One of the best pieces of which was the mention that there is no way to guarantee that you are going to have a bullet centered under that much powder coat.

Why the long winded explanation? Because sooner or later you were going to read part of what I've said somewhere else and start wondering again. You probably still will. The best part being you had good sense and asked! Being new to casting is like being new to anything else, you can get good at it. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and hey! Good luck and safe reloading with all your projects!

God Bless, and One Love

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

I doubt you could coat enough to make up the 0.022", that is quite a lot.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It would be like throwing a hotdog down a hall way.