Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: .35X57 information needed

Boolit Buddy

.35X57 information needed

Thinking about making up one of these, on a Mauser, to shoot/hunt with cast bullets. Any information on who might chamber it, and loads would be helpfull.

Boolit Master
    So, if you are starting with a 7.92x57, no problem. Suggest JES Rebore. Jesse will bore it out to your desired twist, probably 1:14 for mainly cast, and recrown it for you.

For cast loads, you can be guided by 358 Win and work up slightly. I have a 35 Krag in a Handi Rifle and find H5895 to be quite an effective powder for both cast and J-bullets. I would have to look into my log to get precise data but 250 grs and 36 grs H4895 seems to stick in my mind.

Will look it up.

Send a few cases. Jesse will fireform them and you send them off to Lee for a set of custom collet dies.

Not sure the short neck makes for an ideal cast boolit cartridge but some people like the 358 Win with cast, so there you go.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard View Post
    Thinking about making up one of these, on a Mauser, to shoot/hunt with cast bullets. Any information on who might chamber it, and loads would be helpfull.
    358W load data works fine. However, I found with medium burning powders 35 Rem start data is good for cast in the 35x57. Work up till you hit max 358W loads or accuracy goes south.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

There have been several good threads on this interesting cartridge. Here is one in which Larry Gibson discusses his rifle.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-Mauser-build