Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: I am doing something horribly wrong

I am doing something horribly wrong

So kicked my 44-40 stuff back to the top of the bench thinking I could get a quick 50 done today. First bullet I seated did this

Vast majority had some similar variation of deformity or wouldn’t crimp enough to keep me from pushing the bullet to the bottom of the case. Using 225gr semi jacketed hp and a rcbs 3 die set with the roll crimp seater die(best to my knowledge) ended up with 3 good rounds that crimped well and didn’t ***** cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

44-40 are very thin walled. Looks like the case was not expanded or belled enough. As far as crimping, I'd think that too much crimp would be worse than too little crimp. Too much crimp has collapsed case shouoders/walls on me before. If the cases vary in length, a shorter one would crimp fine and a longer case would collapse.

Yeah, I've crunched my fair share of cases. I tried a progressive but that just ate the cases!! Back to a turret. I've found it's necessary to have a generous amount of belling, make sure everything lines up and don't operate the press too fast! I also coat the boolits with Hi-Tek which makes them a bit smoother - it all helps.

I agree with BK7, it looks like the case is too tight at the mouth.

That's my guess too, not enough bell to start/accept the bullet.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

I am doing something horribly wrong

On that one y’all are correct at least from what I could find it was the only picture I took when I was at it. I readjusted the expanding die to much the next time and just right that’s when I got 3 that crimped and seated well. When I hit the crimp part of the stroke is where I would wad cases up

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Expand the cases a bit and back off the crimp.got to be gentle with the 4440/3840

Boolit Master
    I haven’t the years of experience that most here do, and I have none with 44-40, but if the crimp is the only thing keeping the bullet from being easily pushed to the bottom of the case I’d look at the adjustment of the sizing die.

Boolit Grand Master

May be as simple as your expander die is set up for .427 dia bullets and your loading .429 dia. the thin case, sizing, neck tension all have to be right or this happens. Ive seen unchamfered case mouth grab and cause colapases occasionally also.

Boolit Master

country gent has you covered. The old dies and revolvers were mostly .427 but the modern ones are mostly .429. Really make a difference with the thin cases. I know, I have run into that problem myself. Mic the expand and the bullet and you will likely have your answer. james

The dies are the new style expander from what I could gather from the instructions but when I get back out there I’ll pull the die apart and see what the expander measures in a few spots and we’ll go from there

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Might want to crimp in a separate step.

As 725 says. Crimp in a separate step. The Lee factory crimp die for 44-40 is the collet rifle style and does an excellent job. I've loader hundreds of 44-40 with out crushing a case. The proper NOE expander plug that fits in the Lee universal expander is a big help also. Gp