Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 45-75 Reforming Brass from 50-110? Close to buying a Chapparel 1876

Boolit Grand Master

45-75 Reforming Brass from 50-110? Close to buying a Chapparel 1876

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Chapparel 1876 45-75. The brass is obviously the problem. I read on a different post about forming it from 50-110. Is this possible and has someone done it? Buying a rifle that I can't reform brass for has little interest to me. Thanks
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Hey,, jonp ,, I think you can use 348 winchester brass to resize to 45-75,,, keep us posted ,,,my chappie is a 40/60 ,,, I use 45/70 gov. resized ,

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.

Boolit Grand Master

I've read here and other places about the 348 brass but it seems pretty hard to come by. I'm interested in something I can shoot, not something I stare at on the wall!
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've read here and other places about the 348 brass but it seems pretty hard to come by. I'm interested in something I can shoot, not something I stare at on the wall!
    Jon
    Everywhere I have looked of late 348 brass is "out of stock" - midway currently has 50-110 around a dollar a case - was I going that way I would order a set of Lee dies and get a second full length size die and have the neck size portion of that that honed out to .482 - my fired cases measure .4835 outside and the normal LEE FL die squeezes it down way too much (I dont rezsize at all - not even neck size this calibre) ----- when reducing neck size its easy to go too quick or try to do too much in one step and if a case neck crinkles its almost impossible to get it right afterwards. For me the look of that milk bottle shape 45/75 case was part of the attraction - a 45/60 just would not have been the same (some of us are strange) - I actually bought my brass before I ordered the rifle to make sure I got it (turned out a smart move which is unusual for me!)

ps - If there is one gun in my rack that I might wear out - its possibly that 76 !!!!

If your going to buy a Chapparel, be advised that the vast majority of them are junk right out of the box. You will likely spend a small fortune getting it to work right before you can enjoy it. Some got lucky and got a good one, but they are few and far between. You would be better off spending a few hundred bucks more and getting a Uberti. As for brass, there are a few places where you can get made up brass, but they are expencive. Lots of info here. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...oard,89.0.html This thread had info on brass. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,60965.0.html

Boolit Grand Master

I hope you have better luck with Chappy than I did. Other than looks mine was junk!

Boolit Master
    50-110 brass was the parent case for the .348 Win.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    veeman ,,is correct,, a lot of the chappies were ( are ) rough,,but if the chamber is good ,,,the rest can be fixed. I have said " IT " before buy original WINCHESTER parts ( used mostly ) they require a small amount of fitting ,, I think the 76 chappie's are just beautiful ,,so if price is good ,,go for it . Veeman gave you the place's to look ,,use'm!! Besides ,,,were here to help you !!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Boolit Master
    50/110 is a good choice by starline but 50 Alaskan is better . less trim. . there are so many variation with Rim size. using The 2 cases will not Extract If you have an original Winchester . original 45/75 has a rim size >628-.630. Starline uses a rim size .617
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    veeman ,,is correct,, a lot of the chappies were ( are ) rough,,but if the chamber is good ,,,the rest can be fixed. I have said " IT " before buy original WINCHESTER parts ( used mostly ) they require a small amount of fitting ,, I think the 76 chappie's are just beautiful ,,so if price is good ,,go for it . Veeman gave you the place's to look ,,use'm!! Besides ,,,were here to help you !!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .
    I used to see adverts for chap 76's in your mags for under 1K - my Uberti ran me $2350 AUD --It would have took a couple of guns with REALLY rough innards to cure me of the attraction of that low price for a chapparral 76 .............the Uberti worked straight out of the box - luckily I had done a lot of manual labour so I had enough strength in my right pointer finger to get the trigger pulled on a loaded round (NOT kidding here the trigger pull was bloody atrocious - twelve pound I reckon) - I got that sorted - its a big, Elegant Rifle - accurate - easy to shoot ...............................................

us

Boolit Master
    better choice would be get one in .45-60. just as power full as the the .45-75 unless you are loading black powder. the .45-60 advantages are it works better with smokeless brass is very easy to get just shorten .45-70. I would get the uberti .