RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a 3" model 60 pro.....

Boolit Master

Got a 3" model 60 pro.....

Off GB. $602 shipped and $20 to my FFL. This replaces my Ruger SP101 that had a horrible scared up forcing cone and would not shoot cast. Hoping for a good one. Should have it Wednesday.

Boolit Master
    I've got the 60-4, 38 spl, 3", adjustable sights. I load 100 gr wadcutters, over a light charge of HP-38. Just pure fun.

Boolit Master

I think, had Skeeter Skelton lived to see the 3" M60 with sights, there would have been a highly laudatory article in Shooting Times about it. And a request to bring it out with a 4" barrel. I have fixed and adjustable sighted versions and both are scary accurate with a stiff load of 4.9/231 pushing a 158 SWC.

A four inch version would have given the Colt Diamondback serious competition as a high end trail gun.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, was thinking of getting a full wad cutter mold for it. Will be my walk about piece.

I also have a model 60-4 with adjustable sights. It shoots extremely well.
    My neighbor bought a model 60 in 357mag with fixed sights about 3 years ago and I got a chance to shoot it. The accuracy was comparable to mine. I didn't shoot it with 357mag loads though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I think, had Skeeter Skelton lived to see the 3" M60 with sights, there would have been a highly laudatory article in Shooting Times about it. And a request to bring it out with a 4" barrel. I have fixed and adjustable sighted versions and both are scary accurate with a stiff load of 4.9/231 pushing a 158 SWC.

A four inch version would have given the Colt Diamondback serious competition as a high end trail gun.
    I would have liked to have a 4" 5 shot but preferred the Smith over a Ruger. Be my cool weather carry gun in a shoulder holster.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 4" Colt Police Positive and Regulation Police examples in 38 S&W. Both are little jewels, and accurate as can be. I think S&W is missing some bets (not to mention sales) by no longer putting up J-frames with 4" barrels in 22 LR, 32 SWL/Magnum/327 Federal, or 38 Special. The SP-101 is a mite heavy for consideration as a "Kit Gun".
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 221153Attachment 221154

Just took these photos.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Attachment 221153Attachment 221154

Just took these photos.
    Nice piece.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 05-28-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Boolit Master

Those are awesome guns!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I have the 60-15 and I love it.

Just like Cosmic Charlies, but stock rubber grips.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    This is my adj sight Model 60 that I've had for 30+ years. It's handy and fairly easy to hit with. I carry it around the place often.
    It also prefers 158 grain SWCs --- over Red Dot in my case.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is a -10 with 3" brl and adjustable sights, factory rubber grips. It is very accurate with 38's or 357's loaded to 38 velocities. Every time I take it to the range I'm amazed how accurate such a short barreled revolver can be, and I'm not that great of a pistol shot. Maybe I got an exceptional one, I don't know, it's the only one I've ever shot.
    My daughter, who goes shooting with me once every year or two, so is not a very good shot, always does her best with the 60. It's the one she always wants when she goes shooting with me.
    I hope you get a good one also and I think you will love it.

Boolit Master

You can NOT have my .357 2" 640-1 Pro Series when you pry it from my cold, dead hands - they're planting me with that one!

Expect a little bit of frame crush on the barrel. Mine leads a bit in that area & I've yet to get around to lapping it out.

I REALLY like the idea of the longer barrels on the J-frames, my personal example being a 4" .22LR Model 63. If they're not going to be concealed-carried, they don't need the shorter barrels, and the smaller grips coupled with the longer sight radius makes for the perfect house or training gun for the women and kids.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Yeah, 4" Js are sweet. I have three early 63s (for me and the girls) and a 632. I would love to have a 4" 60 heavy barrel with adjustable sights.

I would love one in blue. And six shot .32 H&R mag. I don't need a .327 or a .357 mag in that little jewel.

Boolit Master

I heartily agree about a 6 gun in 32 H&R. Maybe 20-25 years ago, at a SHOT Show, I asked the Smith rep about such a thing and he answered that they would not undertake to "make everything." Guess we need an aggressive Smith distributor, as Lipsey has been for Ruger.

Boolit Master

Just curious, how did the SP101 forcing cone get scared up? Did you send it back to Ruger?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Just curious, how did the SP101 forcing cone get scared up? Did you send it back to Ruger?
    The pistol came with a poorly timed barrel. Front sight leaning left. I sent it back and they rebarreled it but that barrel had the boogered up forcing cone. Seemed like they used a reject barrel.

I sold that pistol and started hunting for another one in various gun shops. I discovered a few more SP101's with poorly timed barrels. So I decided to try a Smith & Wesson.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 05-29-2018 at 09:28 AM.

The rarely seen Model 60=? with a 5" bbl. was one of the nicest trail guns I've ever owned. While I have size (L) hands, I shot it DA and SA just fine and found that it, like the rest of my .357's perked nicely with Lyman's venerable 358156GC.

Skeeter's superb load (13.5 gr. of 2400) sent those GC'd beauties on their way at just over 1100 fps, while good Hogue grips kept the pain levels tolerable, and it was a pleasure to see those carefully cast slugs do their work....alas, son #1 took a yen for it, and it now resides in that bastion of political idiocy, NY. A rare conservative judge up in the Albany area granted him a hunting and target shooting "permit" for it...I regret not being able to shoot it from time to time, but it's tough to say 'no' to a son who's given you a S&W M24 .44 Special & a Browning Hi-Power as Christmas gifts!!

May you have sons and grand-daughters like mine....a happy man, am I,,, Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 06-17-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast