RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Hobby machinist forum members ?

Banned

Hobby machinist forum members ?

I used to be a member on the hobby machinist forum .
    Then got banned because I dared to disagree with Nelson the owner .
    But that's not why I'm here ... only because I can't post there .

If you are a hobby machinist member please send me a pm .
    I'd like some info ..

Awhile back a h-m member posted up a big long sob story about how his girl friend left him and he was going to lose his shop because of her bills .

Well a collection was made and quite a large amount of money was sent to him ( 7-9 k ) to save his shop .

Well this morning while perusing Craig's list I found this same fellow now has his entire shop listed for sale .

I'd like some more info please if there is any ... or at least someone to let the members there know about the for sale shop .
    I wouldn't mind having my money returned to me either .

Boolit Master

Hey Redneck1, I'm a member over there and there hasn't been a post to that thread for a few months now.

Banned
    Yea I figured as much ... https://youngstown.craigslist.org/tl...600082909.html

There's the Craig's list listing , I sent a inquiry but I doubt he answers

Just a note ... he had edited the post since my inquiry to now say he is wishing to "downsize"

There was no mention of that as originally posted .

Boolit Master

I posted the Craigslist listing on H-M with a note that I hope his health improves. I'll probably be a banned member soon myself.

Boolit Master
    if yo want your money back you never "gave" it. You still are attached to it!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned
    Thanks sparky I appreciate it .. I do hope it doesn't cause you any problems over there .

And to the mods here ... please do feel free to delete this thread if it is inappropriate or at the slightest sign of controversy.

Nekshot
    I fear you are correct in more then one way .

But I gave the guy some of my hard earned money to "save" his shop
    Not for him to turn around and sell everything .

Even someone in bad health and looking to downsize to mini machines doesn't sell all his tooling and measuring equipment.
    It just rubs me wrong

Boolit Master
    I have been in similar circumstances, and have learned that Nekshot is spot on. You did what you did to help a guy out. If it was a scam, or if his circumstances changed, doesn’t really much matter it terms of you being a quality human being.

That said, I’m not that good at it. Often when I help someone in a material way I lose touch with them, that way I suppose I’m not tempted to judge them for the decisions they make that might be different than mine.

Amen to that!!, Fivefang

Banned
    Jimb

Up until I found the Craig's list posting I hadn't ever given it a second thought , the amount of money I gave is minor and isn't the point .
    It's the principal involved .
    It has my hind end chapped enough I am thinking about making the drive to Mercer pa and getting an explanation in person .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    Jimb

Up until I found the Craig's list posting I hadn't ever given it a second thought , the amount of money I gave is minor and isn't the point .
    It's the principal involved .
    It has my hind end chapped enough I am thinking about making the drive to Mercer pa and getting an explanation in person .
    I understand, really I do, but I assure you that you’ll get a better result if you just assume that he’s not morally bankrupt and that his situation changed in a way that required him to liquidate. Not to say that I’d go so far as to write him another check, but give him the benefit of the doubt even if you’re pretty sure that it’s fiction.

Consider that you don’t know the details of his life, maybe he’s diabetic and it turns out that he needs to get a foot chopped off, or maybe his daughter was in a car accident and is in a coma, or maybe his house burned down. Odds are that he’s scum, but you gain nothing by proving that to yourself and you aren’t likely to change him, so just accept that you did something nice to help someone in need and let it go.

BTW, there was a time I’d have offered to buy the gas for the trip, but as they say, wisdom comes from mistakes. One day many years ago I dropped what I was doing and drove a couple hundred miles to chase down someone who had wronged a close friend of mine, two of us almost died that night and very little was accomplished. Most importantly, neither I nor my friend felt any better about the situation. I can’t honestly say that I’ve let it go, but I believe that she has and that’s all that matters.

Banned
    A change in circumstances is more the understandable, but I just can't get past thinking that if everything was on the up and up a person interested in doing the right thing would let everyone who was involved know what's going on .
    Especially after his constant statements to the effect that his shop was what he lived for and was the last thing in his life he'd ever let go .

Live and learn I guess , I won't lose any sleep over it .

Moderator Emeritus

A few of us have had issues helping others. The other day a guy came up to my father and I and asked for money for food. I gave him $5 and my father said he is probably a millionaire. I said it doesn't matter as I know I did right. Just sayin.

Banned
    I'm over it ... thanks to sparky45 the members over there know what's going on and that's enough to make me happy .
    Just another fool to wash my hands of .

Karma will take care of the rest .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    A few of us have had issues helping others. The other day a guy came up to my father and I and asked for money for food. I gave him $5 and my father said he is probably a millionaire. I said it doesn't matter as I know I did right. Just sayin.
    I will occasionally give money for the same reason. Whether that person is scamming me or not, I'm doing right by the Lord. That guy will have to answer for his actions one day, I won't.

Boolit Grand Master

Personal scams and fake charity requests are now the norms. Many used to get a few bucks from me, but I found out where most of the money goes and I quit. Now if I don't personally know where the money trail ends, I just say NO. The companies that collect on behalf of honest needs usually absorb the majority of donations in operating expenses and very little ever makes it to meet the proposed need.
    Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I've done without in order to meet someones else's greed too many times. You can bet when my phone rings after 4:45 in the evening, there will be a WORTHY charity on the line, requesting,,,,, NO using shameful tactics to extract funds in ammounts my family can eat a day or more with.
    I've never asked a dime from anyone, and I'm tired of being put upon. I have a T shirt printed with "NO find another sucker".
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I understand, really I do, but I assure you that you’ll get a better result if you just assume that he’s not morally bankrupt and that his situation changed in a way that required him to liquidate. Not to say that I’d go so far as to write him another check, but give him the benefit of the doubt even if you’re pretty sure that it’s fiction.

Consider that you don’t know the details of his life, maybe he’s diabetic and it turns out that he needs to get a foot chopped off, or maybe his daughter was in a car accident and is in a coma, or maybe his house burned down. Odds are that he’s scum, but you gain nothing by proving that to yourself and you aren’t likely to change him, so just accept that you did something nice to help someone in need and let it go.

BTW, there was a time I’d have offered to buy the gas for the trip, but as they say, wisdom comes from mistakes. One day many years ago I dropped what I was doing and drove a couple hundred miles to chase down someone who had wronged a close friend of mine, two of us almost died that night and very little was accomplished. Most importantly, neither I nor my friend felt any better about the situation. I can’t honestly say that I’ve let it go, but I believe that she has and that’s all that matters.
    I agree with JimB here. It reminds me of another 1911....Proverbs, 19:11 "A person's wisdom yields patience; it is to one's glory to overlook an offense."

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I'm over it ... thanks to sparky45 the members over there know what's going on and that's enough to make me happy .
    Just another fool to wash my hands of .

Karma will take care of the rest .

Karma WILL take care of the rest. You did the right thing, take comfort in that.
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member