Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first M1 Garand

Boolit Master
    Oh not at all; merely enjoying the conversation - one of my favorite gun topics.

Boolit Master

I see your location. The Willamette Valley is a big area, but we might be neighbors.

When I was very young, My best friend and I had our Daisy rifles close. His uncle was in Korea and came home with holes in his left arm from a machine gun. He told us a lot of war stories and our Daisy became a M1. and we kept the neighborhood safe. When I joined the Air Force I was disappointed when they didn't give me a M1 to qualify with. But I did shoot the 30 carbine. Still I didn't get to shoot the M1. years passed, my family grew and I kept hearing stories about the M1. I was able to purchase a hunting rifle but never the M1 I just could not afford one. Then out of the blue my son n law put one in my hand and said it was now mine. I can't begin to tell you how I felt. It's been a life time of waiting. When I got it he said it had issues. I didn't care. It was a M1 and it was mine. I was holding a big piece of history. Was it in combat? who knows . How many soldiers held it? no one will ever know. Right now it holds a place of honer in my house. It has some new parts installed that should make it a good and safe shooter. And I plan to do that just that as soon as the box of clips arrive. I am still looking for a bayonet and the cleaning kit that is held in the stock. The neighbors are also waiting their turn with it at the range. Obsolete? Never.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.