Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Repaired Springfield MilSpec

Boolit Buddy

Reparked Springfield MilSpec

My Springfield MilSpec was in serious need of a rClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180518_101242_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	221095efinish job. Almost 30 years old. Carried as a duty weapon for a couple of years. Was stolen and recovered, and then used as a learning gun to practice gunsmithing on. S&A beaver tail and reprofiled Armscor ambidextrous safety added, so there was lots of bare metal that needed to be refinished.
    Pistol originally came in grey park, so refinish was easy.
    I used IFS Parkerizing solution (formerly Radocy). Prep was first degreasing in gas, then boiled in TSP & Dawn detergent solution. I then head blasted using 100-170 grit glass beads at about 100 psi.
    Park solution was made extra strength by adding 50% more than recommended.
    Oil soak was 2 hours in hot used motor oil. Once taken out, and wiped down, it was allowed to sit over night until oil was all absorbed. Then I rubbed everything with moly based wheel bearing grease. I may add a second rubbing on Sunday. All the grease has been absorbed.
    The Para Ordnance slide, aftermarket slide stop, and Armscor ambidextrous safety came out almost black. The SAI frame, slide, and the S&A grip safety came out dark grey. Unfortunately the flash kind of washes the color out.
    I also did a couple of PO Commander slides to get rid of their horrid painted finish.
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 05-27-2018 at 09:24 PM.