Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Damaged mould repair

Damaged mould repair

Here is the mould I got from Echo. Thank you again. It's quite interesting.

Does anyone know what brand it is? I've never seen anything like it. The sprue plate and the handle attachment pin are combined. It looks like the sprue cutter is reversible for left handle operation.

Upon first inspection, I believe the one cavity will cast good bullets.

The other cavity however, not only has a repair it has a chip/gouge out of one side of the bullet nose. You can see this makes it look like the nose is cut off center. Its just on the edge of the cavity though it seems.

Ive yet to cast with, but I'll report back as that happens. The repair portion is proud somewhat and i'll have to file/stone it down so the blocks close all the way. They are i'd guess .003 or .004 thousands separated. Because of this, I think the only saving of this cavity would be to have it recut to truncated nose. If this is possible, both could be done then.

It looks like 45 caliber semi wadcutter for 45 auto, but I can only take a guess measurement with my calipers.

So, any thoughts, opinions, and ideas are welcome and appreciated.

~Bazoo

Both cavities, and both block halves have some weird vertical cuts across the lube grooves. Each bullet will have 2 raised fins, one on either side.

Boolit Master

It's a Cramer mold - says so on the sprue plate. And the sprue swung free until I tightened it up a touch - now it interferes on the stop. I can't explain that, either - stop is pretty well set in place. My guess is that a previous owner tried to modify the cavity on a drill press, or some such. I wish Bazoo well, and hope he enjoys the effort!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master

With those cuts through the lube grove, how is the boolet going to drop free out of the mold? If they are in both halves will you even be able to open the mold once the lead is cast?

Boolit Buddy

If you have use of a milling machine you could make it a slick sided mold and maybe salvage some use from it, but looks like time consuming process to try to salvage it

Boolit Master
    Eric at Hollowpointmold. com may be able to weld this and fix both the nose and the notches in the lube grooves, however it will most likely cost you more than a new four or six cavity mold from one of the custom mold makers!

This strikes me as a mold that will cost you more to fix, right, than it's worth.

Suggest it gets into the lesson teaching collection, as it what not to do to a mold!

Unless you have major machining skills that you can use to repair this yourself that is!

I always, always, have to fight the urge to fix " Bubba's" work! Sorry to say it but this one on them in my opinion!

HM

Thanks for the replies. I realize it wont be a cheap operation to have it fixed professionally. I dont have the skills or machinery to fix it myself, yet. But I would like to acquire both, so if that happens I might pull it off the shelf years from now and fix it right.

I have cleaned it up some. I took down the high metal repair, and some raise metal around the pin holes so that the blocks close together completely. Drove the pins out more and got them just right so there is no play between the 2 halves and no light visible. Filed some of the raised dings from the edges of the sprue cutter. Bronze brushed the vent lines and cavities. And steel wooled the outside all over.

The good cavity cleaned up real good and it looks like it'll cast a good bullet.

Does anyone know if those extra grooves across the lube grooves are factory? Maybe special order?

I consider it a single cavity mould at this point, which is fine. I did some research on Cramer moulds, and found that it was started approximately 1937 and sold out to SAECO 1951 if I recall correctly.

Going to have to drill out my lee handles to get them to fit. I think i'll drill them closer to the hinge and keep the original holes for other moulds with that size.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Those extra cuts in the lube grooves will indeed make popping the bullets out easily, a but tougher, I'd think!

Maybe that's a "Cannister Filler" mold :P It should be interesting to work with and you probably will learn something, tho I suspect PART of what you learn might be "NEVER do this to a mold!" Just ACK.

Learning is always good though

Boolit Master
    My major was industrial engineering and I personally wouldn't spend the time and money it would take to repair and machine this mold into something useful. I have no doubt Eric could repair it, but he used to get a $100 a cavity for converting a mold to a hollow point. If you need a project then this is one, but the rewards are doubtful.

Boolit Master
    I can see someone trying to fill in a void or hole in the block, but why cut the grove on both cavities ?

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I can see someone trying to fill in a void or hole in the block, but why cut the grove on both cavities ?
    Indexing maybe. That's usually on nose but who knows??
    Bazoo,sounds like you have a plan but if you need help with that bring it with you when we meet next.
    Thanks.

I contacted Eric and he told me that it wasnt worth fixing, which I knew. He also surmised that the grooves would actually help release of the bullet, causing it to spin as the cavities were opened, thus dropping it right out. I've yet to cast with it, but it'll happen one of these days. If the bullet shoots amazing, I might just make a million or so 1 at a time.

Boolit Master
    Since these cuts into the cavities are going to cause this mold to cast a lopsided bullet I wouldn't get my hopes up on accuracy. A lopsided bullet is going to wobble and once the wobble starts it will only get worse.

I think what you have now is another example of how ignorance can ruin what started out to be a good thing.

The cuts are such, that the resultant bullet will have one on each side. Provided they are in the same spot, it should be balanced. Really, im holding out some hope for it, but I suppose worse case, it could provide someone with a cramer mould, a sprue plate, pins and screws.