Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: light bullets in Win. Trapper .45 Colt

Boolit Master

light bullets in Win. Trapper .45 Colt

Several weeks ago I mentioned here that I was going to try .45 ACP bullets in the 200 grain range in a Trapper .45 Colt. For many years, I've primarily used the Lyman #454424 bullet, about 260 grains (ww) cast from a 1960s mould. As cast bullets are about .456" - .457".

The light bullets I tried were Lyman #452460 (200 grs.), Lyman #452488 (195 grs.) and the SAECO #069 (205 grs), a copy of the H&G #68. I used four powders including 231, Unique, Herco, and HS-6. No hot loads, muzzle velocities in the 1100 - 1250 fps range for the light bullets. All bullets were run through a .454" size die. Fired about 25 or so five-shot groups total, open sights at 50 yards. Accuracy with the light bullets was well behind that of the #454424; five shot group with it was probably under 1 1/2" with HS-6 for a muzzle velocity of about 1125 fps. However, I already knew this bullet shot well in the carbine and I'll stick with it.

I don't consider my efforts wasted; at least I know now that my Trapper doesn't like light bullets.

I used the Lee 160 grain in a trapper for cowboy shooting. Mine only held 9 in the magazine. Went to 45 Schofield cases with the Lee 160, I could get ten in the magazine then. Traded it to a buddy for a Remington 700 in 221 Fireball when his first grandson came a long. I put a scope on the trapper and developed a good deer load for him. My accuracy was good enough for cowboy shooting, if I missed I generally knew it as soon I pulled the trigger.

I’ve been planning on doing that just because I wanna get some 45 of each cartridge done and do t wanna spend money on a separate mold for the colt or acp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk