Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made Ingots out of wheel weights today

My issue is melting pot. Im OK with cast iron and ss pot but not deep enough. I've looked at the 4-20 and drips won't bother me. Other pot was the 20 lb melter and Lyman ladle. I e got a 6 quart Dutch oven that hasn't been used in 20 years but that seems kind of big considering my luck of finding lead at any decent cost. Roto metals is right at $75.00 for the first 20 lbs I would like to buy. I bought welding gloves and have glasses to wear when casting. Already burnt a few fingers without them. So what I'm looking to buy is a pot, thermometer, and a good ladle anyway. Still have to buy a sizing die and lube. I think my cart is around $200.00 right now. That's with 20 lbs of lead from roto metals. I was up until 4:30 this morning putting one pot in and taking it out and adding a different one maybe ten times as I was reading reviews and watching videos. Seems most videos are 99% bottom pour pots. I guess my main concern is cleaning the pot after use and the adjustments on the bottom pour.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    My issue is melting pot. Im OK with cast iron and ss pot but not deep enough. I've looked at the 4-20 and drips won't bother me. Other pot was the 20 lb melter and Lyman ladle. I e got a 6 quart Dutch oven that hasn't been used in 20 years but that seems kind of big considering my luck of finding lead at any decent cost. Roto metals is right at $75.00 for the first 20 lbs I would like to buy. I bought welding gloves and have glasses to wear when casting. Already burnt a few fingers without them. So what I'm looking to buy is a pot, thermometer, and a good ladle anyway. Still have to buy a sizing die and lube. I think my cart is around $200.00 right now. That's with 20 lbs of lead from roto metals. I was up until 4:30 this morning putting one pot in and taking it out and adding a different one maybe ten times as I was reading reviews and watching videos. Seems most videos are 99% bottom pour pots. I guess my main concern is cleaning the pot after use and the adjustments on the bottom pour.
    Decent metal is usually about $1/lb in Swapping & Selling.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    Leave an inch or two in the bottom to start your next session easier.

I finally broke down and took the plunge on a Lee Pro 4-20 and a rcbs thermometer plus a Lyman ladle from Midway. Hoping I made the right decision on the bottom pour pot. Now I just need to find some lead to use when it gets here next Friday. If anyone thinks I got the wrong one please advise as I can cancel this order since Midway is closed for today. Thanks all for putting up with all my questions. If I don't see another you tube video from Fortune Cookie 45 for a few weeks I may get my mind back. I've watched every review and video for 2 days watching this thing work.

Boolit Master
    You did fine and will be pleased with the package , I see you posted a want to buy lead - don't get to caught up in the hardness at first a lot of fine boolits are cast with range scrap , and wheel weights . There is a member here ' well more than one ' that sells lead look up the captain .

Boolit Master
    Get the videos from brass magnet it's sorta a lending library , after a while you pass them on to a new caster just starting out .

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If you cannot find all the Pb and alloy you need locally (like I do) buy it ON HERE from the fine members that offer it! Don’t buy commercial Pb or alloy unless that is your absolute last choice. You WILL pay a lot more. PLUS shipping many times.

Do NOT trust Pb and alloy from Ebay! Heaven only knows what is in there! You CAN trust the folks on here.

Just got a message from Alan in Vermont. He has some at 1/2 of roto metals

On looking for lead, tell your friends and co-workers. They may have leads you can track down.
    A friend from work was talking about making weights for the back of his pick up. A relative of his works at a school bus garage and had several 5 gallon buckets of bus wheel weights. My friend melted one bucket down and poured it into channel iron to make strips of lead about 4 feet long. I swapped him a couple rifle scopes and a bit of cash for his lead. About 94 lbs.
    Makes great boolits.
    So ask around, you never know when you can score.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    As mentioned above just pick up some from members here to get you started , then spread word that you are looking for some lead and it will appear from the strangest places , the next thing you know you will be worried about wear to store it .

Don't empty the pot completely unless you need to clean it. I keep mine at least half full when I've finished casting.

You did good with the 4-20 pot, lots of us here are using it including myself. Bottom pour is the only way I cast and isn't a problem for most once you get a rhythm going. Get your lead from the swapping and selling on this site as others have mentioned. It's already smelted so just put it in your Lee pot and you are good to go if it's in the BHN range you need. You can add some tin or Lino as needed also available in the S&S section.

Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    You did good with the 4-20 pot, lots of us here are using it including myself. Bottom pour is the only way I cast and isn't a problem for most once you get a rhythm going. Get your lead from the swapping and selling on this site as others have mentioned. It's already smelted so just put it in your Lee pot and you are good to go if it's in the BHN range you need. You can add some tin or Lino as needed also available in the S&S section.
    <<< 'Bubbie' said your avatar is cool!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I keep a stainless steel condiment cup fro W-mart under the spout of my 4-20 to catch drips.

I used Lee alox for a long time, but recently switched to Ben's Liquid Lube. BLL works great and is much less sticky. You can find the recipe here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-L-Liquid-Lube Alox is one of the ingredients. I made mine with the Lundmark wax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12